1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID headlights dim on Prius Touring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by woodenpaddler, Apr 1, 2023.

1. woodenpaddler

woodenpaddler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2008 Prius Touring has 234,000 miles and the headlights have seemed wicked dim for a while. I searched through the forum but didn't find a definite cause. I have replaced the bulbs on each side at least once with quality D4R bulbs I believe. I have polished the plastic headlamp assemblies. Toyota dealership said the headlamps were fine, but they are not bright like my Saab 9-3 or my Toyota Tacoma. I don't remember the lights being so dim like this when I bought it at 30k miles. The Prius is well maintained and in great shape and I have no problem putting more into it; just trying to make sure I go down the right path. Should I replace bulbs, replace the whole assemblies, or do more testing?
    thanks for any suggestions.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think ballasts tend to wear at some point I mean the car is a 2006 7 whatever you just said so in that respect those parts are a bit old hell the aftermarket companies I buy some of this equipment from even states in their literature that ballast are one of the first things to check for a week lights That's why I moved everything to halogen housings with the manual adjustments and S1 series LED bulbs If I could get even fake projectors in those housings like the Gen 3 has for the low beams that would be great and wouldn't bother on coming drivers since none of that's readily available for the Gen 2 I have to dip the lights down a little bit with the manual adjustment and that seems to do the trick not the best solution but given the year model and all that it's the best you've got I mean look at older Toyotas we used to drive same lighting problems etc etc all the way back to sealed being glass oh well