1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Barry Hines

Barry Hines New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Are there any permanent fixes to the headlights malfunctioning?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From what I've read, it's the bulbs that are bad (bad batches). Maybe try some higher quality bulbs from your local auto parts places

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It would be unlikely that there are still any bulbs in action from the 2005/2006 bad batch. There are really no malfunctions with the HID system. Either it works, or the bulb is out, or very rarely the ballast is out. It's very simple.

JC91006 likes this.
  4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never heard this before.
    Seems like folks sure have a lot of problems with those bargin bulbs they get on Amazon and eBay.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bargain/Retail stuff online.....can be fake/counterfeit. Of course that can happen at a retail store too, but just less likely to happen.

6. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Besides the references to the bulbs, there are other reasons they fail, just like many other "regular bulb" lights. One of ours started acting up a year ago. The failure was caused by the fixture no longer being waterproof. The permanent fix was to replace both the fixture AND the ballast as I assumed that water had reached the old ballast located beneath the light itself and sooner or later it would need replacing due to corrosion. It's been one calendar year since the replacement and all is well, even in heavy rains now.

7. Shaunius

Shaunius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Barry I do not think so I had a flicker in my right headlight bought brand new bulbs and ballasts just to make sure it stops and the flicker is now coming from the left side even though both bulbs and ballasts are brand new clearly something this defective on aging 2nd gen headlights other than this issue the car is perfect :(