1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID makes fog lights useless

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NedBinCNY, Jun 25, 2014.

1. NedBinCNY

NedBinCNY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My new to me 07 with pkg 5 (everything but leather ) has the HID headlights, which are great , except when it is foggy out. I do mostly night driving, and most if that on rural 2 lane roads. Last night I had a lot of solid heavy fog, those HID headlights overwhelmed the poor little halogens in the bumper. Adding insult to injury, the fog lights only work with the headlights...

Anyone know of an upgrade bulb for the stock fog lights? And or is there a hack to change the fogs so they'll work with the parking lights instead of the headlight circuit?

Barring those changes, I'm going to have to put a set of aftermarket fog lights on, wired up so they'll work when the parking lights are on.

Ned

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you haven't changed the foglight bulbs to a warmer 2500 to 3000k yellow bulb do it. They'll provide more contrast on the road. Don't know if your HIDs will wash them out though.

You could use a relay harness to wire the fogs directly to the fuse box. You'll need to find a fuse that's only powered when in Ready mode, and you can add a switch in the dash to control it.

SCH-I535

3. NedBinCNY

NedBinCNY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll get a photo tonight, we've got rain today, and I fully expect I'll see more fog tonight. I can tell that the fogs were on, but the HID's have such a wide field, I was simply annoying any oncoming drivers even more. The HID range is a good thing, I can see all of those suicidal deer and other critters, but when I get into a solid wall of fog I'm driving nearly blind.
    when that happens, I need to be able to turn Off the headlights and put light under the fog, which of course can't happen with the fog lights shackled to the headlight circuit.

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I try to find the PIAA ion crystal replacement when I change the fog light bulbs. They produce yellow light.

SCH-R530M ?

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They're really expensive though, I've had good results with the Nokya brand.

SCH-I535

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I only knew about PIAA before. Thank you for the info about the Nokyas. Did you try the bigger bulb versions?

SCH-R530M ?

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And that is the KEY to fixing your problem.
    The bright headlights and fog is just like shining the lights into a mirror, both for you and other drivers around you.

It is possible that the low beams are adjusted too high too.
    You are using low beams only......right ??

8. NedBinCNY

NedBinCNY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yes, low beams only:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403747183.111583.jpg

Ned

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403747244.238732.jpg
    Low plus fog lights

I'm parked btw more later

Ned

#8 NedBinCNY, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try and find a level area with a flat wall about 20 to 30 feet away to see your cutoffs. They appear to be too high in your posted pictures.

SCH-I535

10. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If anything, fog lights are meant to be seen. It isn't really to see the road. The 3000k bulbs are good.

iPhone ?

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think that's illegal; the low beams have to be on with the fogs.

FYI, the OEM fogs on our 2010 are pretty ineffective too, it's hard to see the difference, switching them off/on. At least we don't get much fog, and/or are rarely driving at night in areas without street lights.

12. NedBinCNY

NedBinCNY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At the risk of being a scofflaw I want safe... If that means rewiring so be it.

Ned

13. lesturner

lesturner Taming the Dragon - Tennessee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you are willing to do a little soldering, the instructions are here... Fog lights

Do keep in mind that in many states, law requires headlights on with foglights. Doubt you will get pulled over in heavy fog for it though. I also erred on being safe and apologizing later.

Les ---

14. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That's what I thought too.
    The low beams in both my new(er) cars have a rather sharp cutoff on the top but they aren't HID either.

Just when you think you have heard EVERYTHING........

NOT true at all.
    Fog lights are mounded low to get light on the road without reflecting as much back in your face.

What caused you to believe that anyway ??

Reference please.

I think that is NOT true......as long as the fogs are bright enough.
    A headlight is a headlight.
    I am pretty sure the requirements are NOT that specific.

#14 Easy Rider, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The requirements here are that low beams need to be on as well. It is illegal to have the fogs on without them. That is probably why Toyota wired them that way in the first place. They don't want any chance somebody will point their finger saying Toyota made it so I can turn them on without the low beams. The pictures of the low beams kind of make it obvious the benefit of their independence though. I guess the law makers here have never driven in bad fog, maybe are always being chauffeured around....

Sorry, I believe it is in the DMV handbook as reference.

SCH-R530M ?

16. NedBinCNY

NedBinCNY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'm going to skip modding the stock lights, though I will upgrade to the better bulbs. I'll also find a convenient wall some evening, and 'fix' the beam height.

I'm going to look for a set of aftermarket fog lights, wire them 'correctly'... and run them when I really need them. On the roads I'll be driving When I Need the fog lights, I'm more than willing to ask forgiveness if a cop ever saw me.

Even though it is only June, winter will be here before I know it, and I bet that those HID's will be just as annoying when I drive in Lake Effect snow as dense fog.

Thanks all for the input, I really appreciate the PC forum's sharing of information!

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe there's a safety reason for not running fogs alone? I mean, why is this law on the books?

18. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Because most common fog lights are not bright enough to properly illuminate the road in non-fog conditions.

And politicians are not smart enough to word it so that it ONLY applies when there is no fog or heavy snow.
    And some people are dumb enough to do it just because they think it is "cool" even if they can't see the road good.

If the conditions were REALLY bad, the LEOs would certainly have other things to worry about I would think.

[soap box on]
    If you get trapped in a fog or heavy snow related chain reaction crash, it is possible that you will DIE without having really done anything wrong.........EXCEPT driving when you should have pulled off and stopped. And that doesn't mean on the shoulder either.
    NO commitment is worth risking your life like that. NONE.
    [off the box]

19. OGGIE50

OGGIE50 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced my HID's DS2 with 5000k & fogs with 9006 5k from DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting Headlights are just R&R and VERY easy to replace. The Fogs (touring) is VERY EASY and is PLUG -N- PLAY. I chose the 5k combo cause i wanted the WHITEST bulb, 6k is BLUE & 4300K is stock. Makes a HUGE difference. BUT if you want it for the FOG i suggest a 3k for the fogs as they fill in where the headlights can't.

20. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Coming from a Country that suffers more than its fair share of fog (front fog lights are standard on the Prius), I thought I'd drop my experiences.

If the fog is bad that your own headlights reflect back at you, so switch on the side/parking lights and fog lights only. Do not switch your headlights on. That way the lower fog lights enable you to see where you're going without dazzling back up.

The beam doesn't project as far but in thick fog you won't be going fast enough for that to cause problems anyhow. Then as conditions improve you switch your headlights back on.

The above is useful in heavy snow too where the snow causes that mesmerising tunnel effect in normal or full beam headlights.

In fog or heavy snow, brighter isn't necessarily better
    :)

Data Daedalus likes this.