1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID makes fog lights useless

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NedBinCNY, Jun 25, 2014.

1. NedBinCNY

NedBinCNY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    easy rider... no offense, but your rant is a tad extreme. I've driven over a million miles, much of that while traveling for work and I've had numerous incidents where a white out crops up or a fog socks in a given locale. In those circumstances, I found it safer to slow down to a reasonable speed and to Keep Moving... stopping in the middle of those conditions invites someone else to hit me.

I think I'm going to go with aftermarket lights, mounted below the bumper wired to run with the parking lights.

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe the UK is more enlightened.
    In the US, you must first have your low beam headlights ON to make the FOGS work.
    Headlights off, FOGS go off too.
    That is EXACTLY what is being discussed here: How to make it work the way you described it........without importing a car from Europe, that is. :)

Please read the whole post. I said to NOT stop on the side of the road......and certainly not IN the road.

The problem IS that not everybody has the same feeling as to what the proper speed IS in foggy conditions.
    Apparently some think that the posted speed limit still applies and others think that anything above 10 MPH is dangerous.

Edit: It just sunk in with me that you are a Cab driver.
    The situation is WORLDS different on the Interstate at 70 MPH than it would be on the streets of NY......or any city for that matter.

#22 Easy Rider, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Then your headlight switch is different to ours which would seem odd but possible.

Ours has two settings, first it's side/parking lights and then headlights. Further in is a toggle switch to turn on the front fogs and then the rear fogs which will only illuminate with the fronts on first. The fog toggle only works when either the side or headlights are on but not if neither are, and if you switch the side or headlights off, the fog switch kills the rear fogs but leaves the front fogs ready to illuminate next time.

Maybe your laws are different in that front fogs can only work if headlights are on, which to be honest, is totally useless. But as most fog lights in the US will never be used in fog, I guess it's irrelevant as to whether they're actually of any use.

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And we have no such thing as "rear fogs" either.

5. NedBinCNY

NedBinCNY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no, I'm Not a cab driver. that was my old commercial research vehicle, which had a full graphics vinyl wrap. I'm a medical courier 95% of my driving is interstate and rural, for me, fog and/or white out conditions happen out in the woods or occasionally on the interstate. Lake effect snow and the resulting white out condition is definitely NOT something to be taken lightly. And I did read the entire post.

6. Palulf

Palulf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting...

Here is the Norwegian (since I am Norwegian) rule on fog lights.

It is only allowed with 2 fog lights.
    It is not allowed to use fog lights in combination with your low beam headlights.
    It is legal to use your fog lights as your low beam headlights in daytime.
    It is also, by definition, not legal to use your foglights in combination with your high beam headlights.
    The exception is driving in 10-20 km/h.

Not sure, but I think the consern is too much attention to the road right in front of you with fog lights on, than on the road further ahead.

7. MTIan

MTIan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, Norway really killed this thread...