1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID problems on 2005 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sktn77a, Jan 26, 2011.

1. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've read about the problems with the 2006-2009 Prius HIDs. I have a 2005 prius with the optional HIDs. Has there been a similar problem with the optional HIDs on the 2004 and 2005? Or did they change the HIDS in 2006 and then start having problems with them?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The only change was a switch from D2R for 04-05 to D4R for 06-09. The problems are pretty much all the same, including absurd pricing, high replacement labor cost, and troubleshooting instructions which often led technicians to replace the headlight computer.

D4R are actually a bit worse, since, as far as I know, Prius and Avalon are the only cars in North America that use them, making replacements harder to find and more expensive. Be glad that you have an 05.

3. drberke

drberke New Member

I have a 2005 package 6 with 87K and i noticed a blue left driver side headlight. I took it into my local (UGH) dealer and had the headlight replaced ($22) but there is no change and now it flickers, is off 1/2 the time and is obviously more of an issue than just the bulb as it is still blue!!! I looked at the long litany(sorry for the redundancy) of headlight HID issues and i am sure I have been bitten by the same problem. I took the charriot back in this am and "informed" them that I am aware of the latest class action in NYS as well as the reams of documentation concerning this issue (blank 1000yd stares). I will be bringing my Prius in this week and I can hardly wait for the estimate on the fix. Any advice re any recourse with Toyota on this issue?

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't recall seeing many 2004-2005 posts about problematic HIDs. It seemed to affect mostly 2006+ cars. My 2005 has had zero trouble with HIDs.

5. PriusRocks

PriusRocks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 has had nothing but problems with the HID lights. Last year the left one went out, and it was just shy of $700 to replace. Monique at Toyota told me that they don't consider headlights a safety issue so there will be no recall. That same week the right headlight went out for the second time. I have driven on just the left headlight and the fog lights until this week, when the left headlight started acting up and going off every few minutes.

So I just called Toyota to discuss, hoping that something has changed, and their auto system mentioned a "Class Action Lawsuit regarding HID".

Perhaps Toyota will now address their faulty HID system?

I hope so, as $700 headlights (and a full day or two without my car) take me away from my happy place.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Really, someone would keep your car for two days to complete a 10 minute job? Start calling independent Toyota specialty shops (not dealers!) in your area and ask them for a price to replace them with Philips D2R bulbs. If they don't carry bulbs, ask if they will replace them for you for a 1 hour labor charge, and buy the bulbs yourself. This problem is well known on the Prius and any shop that has regular Prius customers is sure to have dealt with this.

8. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    700 dollars? You just got ripped off like none other. My 05 was bought in Dec. 04 and have not had any problems.