1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID projector install in STOCK housing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Dans12v, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Dans12v

Dans12v New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've looked for information from various sources and have yet to really find anything definitive, so here I am.

About 6 months ago, I found a set of easily removable factory HID projectors in the local LKQ, a 2006 Chrysler 300 M to be precise. Had the factory 35w Osram ballasts and bulbs which are all made in Germany thanks to Daimler. and have a very clean cut-off and excellent optics.

Here is my issue.
    After installing the lights in the housings, (which I'll detail if anyone is curious), the light pattern went all weird. The cut-off is still there and there aren't any hot spots, but there's some weird artifacts. I'll upload a picture in just a bit. I did resurface and clear coat the headlights before doing this, its not quite factory clear, but it is much better.

I'm curious if the outer lenses are what is causing the weird artifacts, or if its the chromed inner housing causing weird things. The light pattern on the outer lens is about 3 inches square and doesn't come into contact with the chrome.

Thoughts?

2. Dans12v

Dans12v New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IMG_20200117_204933.jpg Where the step in the cut-off is, you can see the blue line going either direction at a ~15* angle.

IMG_20200117_204948.jpg
    Overall the outer lens appears cloudy with the lights on.
    IMG_20200117_205303.jpg
    Overall, not a bad pattern, but its weird that it has the brighter lines. That's what I'm thinking is the chromed insert it causing.

You can see that the projector sits a bit further back into the housing, about half an inch.
    IMG_20200117_205003.jpg

#2 Dans12v, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2020
    Dylan Doxey likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be the 300M projectors too?

Here’s a Gen 3 with RX projectors retrofitted with HIDs. It has a clean cut off.

RX350 HID projector retrofit | PriusChat

Side note, your amber side parking light is blown (unless you intentionally removed it). The Gen 3 has two parking lights - the one you replaced with LEDs facing forward and the amber one at the side.