1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID to LED conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lloyd-ss, Jan 14, 2018.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    6 and 12 orientation would likely cause more glare, which seems to be the case, as seen in the upclose pattern against the garage door.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO likes this.
  2. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here you go! All the lights on the 2007 Prius are in good order now. It was easy to replace the passenger side fog light when I had the headlight out for the HID to LED conversion. I also found out that the HID ballasts are a source of the loud electrical hum in the front end. Hum is gone now that the ballasts are disconnected.

We ended with some opinions on how the LED chips should be oriented on the LED assys. 8 chips on one side of the light and 8 chips 180 degrees opposite on the other side, and clockable by using the small allen wrench that came with the lights. For this installation, the driver side has the chips at 6 and 12 o'clock, and the passenger side has the chips at 3 and 9 o'clock. The garage door I used in the first test has a glossy surface and I felt that made it difficult to really tell how the pattern looked. So I taped a sheet (pink) to the garage door to give a nice matte finish. I think I like the passenger side better, but not enough to disassemble the lights and change the clocking. I also looked right at the low and high beams from about 50 yards and couldn't really tell any difference at all between the driver and passenger side. Definite difference between hi and low, though. I might try a drive by test with one of my kids driving the Prius and me in the Tacoma to see if anything looks odd.

HID to LED conversion

LED clocked 6 and 12 o'clock driver side, HI BEAMS , clocked 3 and 9 o'clock passenger side, against pink sheet on garage door.
    FinalHiBeams.png

LOW BEAMS with fog lights. This picture caught the windshield reflection.
    Final-LowBeams.jpg

The car was only about 5 feet from the door, and pointed slightly up hill, so the difference between hi and low beam is difficult to see, but there was a definite difference. I'll have to give it a try on the road and see how the look to another driver.

But overall, I love the lights and it was a really clean installation. I'd definitely recommend them. Some more detailed pics of the actual installation in another post.
    Lloyd-ss

#22 Lloyd-ss, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    strawbrad and SFO like this.
  3. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here are some more detailed photos of the actual installation.

Remove this connector inside the big round cover to expose the two 3/16" blade terminals that you will hook the LED lights to. Just pry it out with a jewelers screw driver. It doesn't have any release clips. Observe the red-black polarity. You'll need to crimp new mating push-on terminals onto the pigtail supplied with the lights. No big deal.
    4-1.jpg

Inserting the LED. LED element has been clocked to 3 and 9 o'clock from the square notch.
    4-2.jpg

I had to bend this little spring tab to give clearance to the LED heat sink.
    4-3.jpg

Since the "dead" HID HV connector will remain inside the headlight assy, I wrapped it with some electrical tape to keep it from vibrating too much.
    4-4.jpg

Here it is. 10 pounds of poop in a 5 pound bag. At the very bottom of the pic, near the white ty-rap, you can see a tiny silver phillips head screw that is on the end of the new LED power supply, which is pushed down inside. The old connectors are all securely ty-rapped into place. The 2 new supply wires (red and black) for the LED power supply are plugged into the 2 existing blade terminals inside the big round cover. It all fits and it doesn't rattle, and its weather-tite. With the headlight assy all closed up, you can't tell if it has HID or LED.
    AND, heaven forbid, if you ever want to switch back to HID, everything is still there.
    4-5.jpg

I feel real lucky that I stumbled onto this LED replacement kit, and I hope this thread helps somebody else with there Gen2 HID nightmare.
    Lloyd-ss

greasemonkey007, orlywon and SFO like this.
  4. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Installation looks great. Tidy fit and clean. All inside the original assembly.
    For the Price I hope it holds up!
    You can definitely see a focus difference in your pics with the different light orientation. 3 and 9 better focused.
    When my hid's burn out this will be the way I go.
    Thank you!

SFO likes this.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I never drove my '06 at night, I live in the country and the low beams were as good or better than the high beams, So I know the problem, but let me point out, it's actually a federal law not to change the type of lights in a car, from HID to LED is definitly changing the type, I'm sure you're aware, but I thought I'd mention it.
    Also, I wonder if when an obd2 reader is plugged in at inspection time any codes will show, here in NH they do inspections with a state supplied obd2 reader that talks to state computers, instant uh'oh.

6. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Lucifer, thanks for the heads-up. But that does beg the question about all the LEDs that are sold as direct replacement for halogen headlights and fog lights. Maybe the enforcement of that regulation is more on a local level. These LEDs still fit the D4R socket and the right and left side are of the same type, soooooo.... we'll find out in two months.

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In indiana our cars are inspected for polllution, I believe that is only P codes, headlights would fall on Body codes, I believe. Only two counties get inspected anyway and no state safety inspection.

8. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A smog in California never looks at that and I don't think there's any code on the computer to worry about.

9. Voodoo6

Voodoo6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is everything still on the up and up with these bulbs? Any updates to add?

If all is good i may switch to these on my next bulb change.

SFO likes this.
  10. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Funny you should ask. Actually, the new LED headlights are performing flawlessly. They work 100% of the time. They are "normal" brightness, not super bright. You can see the difference between high and low beam. The color is pure white, with no blue cast. No trouble codes on the computer.

But an odd problem has popped up. We almost never use the radio, but the other day my wife informed me that when the LED lights are on, the FM stations all become static. AM is fine. My uneducated guess is that the little black power supply brick that came with the LEDs is some sort of DC to DC convertor with an oscillator with no filtering that puts out some sort of FM interference. To test it, I pulled my Tacoma, with FM playing, right up to the front of the Prius, Sure enough, when I got right next to the front of the Prius, my truck radio got staticy. No I have to figure out a filter or shield of some kind. I still like the lights.
    Anybody have experience with this sort of thing?
    Thanks, Lloyd

strawbrad and SFO like this.
  11. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I know this problem can happen with cheap led lights for the house. Not shielded properly and it kills fm reception in the house. Figured it out at my work, FM antenna inside the same room as a light we installed. Turn light off and all good. You probably mess with people just driving by them. Lol

Lloyd-ss and SFO like this.
  12. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I got some hints about how to eliminate the RFI by using some ferrite filters, and possibly a couple of other things if needed. I'll get it fixed and let you know what had to be done. Should be cheap and easy......ha ha, I hope.

M in KC, audiodave and SFO like this.
  13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lloyd-ss and audiodave like this.
  14. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ha ha, probably no worse than the old non-resistor type spark plug cables that would wreak havoc on everybody's radios. Maybe I should cruise around the grocery store parking lot on senior discount day and see if anything unusual happens.:eek: Oops! Forgot..(n)... I am one of those seniors!:D

audiodave likes this.
  15. Bill Gibson

Bill Gibson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    I have 2 left thumbs and little mechanical ability. I'm going to try this anyway. Who was the source of LED bulbs on ebay?

#35 Bill Gibson, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. Bill Gibson

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    Let me know how to fix the FM radio interference problem once you figure it out. I listen to FM radio all the time. Thanks.

18. Bill Gibson

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    Oh, one other thing I forgot to ask: there are no on dash errors or error codes, are there?

19. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Bill, Everything works fine with the LED headlights and there are no error codes. The FM interference is the only problem, but there are lots of YouTube videos with ways to fix that problem. I'll be filtering through those and find one that works in this application. I honestly expect the solution to be very straightforward. Lloyd

SFO likes this.
  20. Bakki Kudva

Bakki Kudva New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you all for this post. I would love to do this on my 2007 Prius but the only thing giving me pause is the lack of ventilation. I know LED bulbs have fans and heat sinks built in. If the bulb is sealed off inside the plastic dome which even has an O-ring to keep the water out there'd be no ventilation possible. Any thoughts?

PS: I still have original HID bulbs, now 11 years old! The driver side bulb does go out at times and I have learned to quickly turn the lights off and on again which seems to bring it back. This seems like something a lot of you also have figured out. I am a bit disappointed that with so many customers suffering through this Toyota hasn't owned up to the problem and come up with a 'real' solution for all via a recall :-(