1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID to LED conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lloyd-ss, Jan 14, 2018.

1. ariklee

ariklee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Audiodave,

Here is what she said:

"I tried it and so far it seems to work okay, but I noticed that the 'scan' function doesn't work as well. It has trouble finding channels sometimes, or will jump around one area".

Marcilla Smith likes this.
  2. Marcilla Smith

Marcilla Smith Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess that kind of makes sense? I'd be interested to know if the radio is on a particular station, as the headlights are turned on or off, what difference does it make in sound quality. That would be the real test.

Or, if by chance, she has a cb...

3. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No issues with a CD but it sounds like reception is not as strong as it was.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I am very glad to see that some others are trying the LED conversion and that it is working. Excellent!!
    Regarding the radio interference, when I wrapped (shielded) the little dc to dc convertor and wiring with copper foil and properly grounded the shield, most of the interference went away. There is a picture in post #54. Unfortunately, with radio interference, it seems you can improve it incrementally with each change you make, but there is seldom and easy silver bullet that takes care of it 100%. Shielding does seem to be the best method, though.

Marcilla Smith likes this.
  5. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Arikilee, This is wonderful. Either you taught your daughter well, or gave her the confidence to move forward. Or maybe her mother did. But whatever, I am so glad she undertook that project. The very first time I changed bulbs in the Prius, I did it by successfully following the Luscious Garage video. Tricks from the pros! That is what makes them different from us mere mortals, LOL.
    Lloyd

ariklee likes this.
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think she meant CB as in citizens band radio.

Marcilla Smith and audiodave like this.
  7. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is an old thread, but I'm looking for that same spring. Did you get one or find a workaround?

8. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you can't find a spring, you can make one pretty easily. If you have a hobby shop that caters to model airplane enthusiasts, they have short lengths of spring temper wire that is used for landing gear and struts and linkages, etc. You can bend it with needle nose pliers. Get enough wire to make 2 in case the first one looks horrible, LOL.

SFO likes this.
  9. Timothy Williams

Timothy Williams New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would something like this work? My wife and I just got a "new to us" Prius that I knew the headlight needed replacing. Didn't realize our Prius had HID lights which are flickering....

Attached Files:

10. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What you have in the amazon pic is a size 9003/H4, which, depending on the year of your Prius, is probably wrong. Look at reply #2 of this thread and it shows the D4R configuration that fit my 2007 Prius that had HID lights. It is easy to buy the wrong style/size of LED replacement lights, so be careful to order the right size. Read in your owners manual, too.

11. Timothy Williams

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah, the D4R is for the slot then? I wasn't sure if the connector mattered as it seems you used other wires. Thanks for the reply, that helps!

12. Timothy Williams

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I did the conversion a few days ago and thanks to @Lloyd-ss instructions, it was super simple. $50 eBay kit and it's perfect. Thanks!

ydpplqbd and audiodave like this.
  13. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you feel like adding a pic I'd like to see the lights.

14. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which kit did you use?

So many of the older posts link to kits no longer available.

15. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looking to order a LED conversion for my 2006 Prius. If you could provide name of seller (that you used) and auction description that would be very helpful.

16. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am in the same boat here, going to convert my HID 2008 to LED, I am getting tired of changing bulbs. Lots of rocks on the road here in the North SF bay area due to road construction. Have rain getting into light and it messed up the ballast. Toyota wasn't smart how it made the ballast seem to collect any water that came in the unit. If this were led or the ballast in a different position it would have blown.

Anyway looking for a recommendation. Would like to order via Amazon so I can do the install before the 24th is over with.

17. cjohnsonmn

cjohnsonmn New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'm really grateful for this thread. But I'm not sure if converting to LEDs will solve my problem with my new-to-me Prius. My main complaint with my '08s HIDs are that they just arent anywhere near bright enough and/or dont illuminate the road far enough ahead or to the sides and around curves in rural driving.
    I can live with the HIDs going out when the bulbs are cold now that I know how to coax them back on by flicking on/off a few times. What I cant abide is the lack of visibility in night driving in rural areas here in Minnesota where the deer and other road crossing critters abound. Can anybody confirm that this conversion has a good chance to improve the overall road visibility?

18. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As mentioned before, the Stock HID are actually quite bright and good when working correctly. There are a few LED units or Projector conversions that will give you a better result for $$$. I found one of my issues is the headlight covers tend to fake/haze up quickly and this kills the light output. If your lens are not 100% clear then that might be the main issue.

cjohnsonmn likes this.
  19. 2Fats

2Fats Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can't speak for in the Prius, but I'm a truck driver and the LED lights on semi's cause issues with CB radio. I've tried all kinds of things to cut down interference but it rarely works. This new truck had incandescent bulbs, and I'm grateful.

20. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's a shielding issue with the LEDs. It screws with FM as well when not made correctly. Even LEDs at home can screw with FM. Better quality ones shouldn't have that problem.