HID to LED conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lloyd-ss, Jan 14, 2018.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just purchased and installed the LEDs that arileee linked. Clipped the ends and crimped on female terminals following Lloyd-ss pictures . I didn't experience any static/interference, so I didn't have to do any shielding.

@ariklee , can you give an update and let us know how your LEDs have held up?

@Lloyd-ss , same thing. Can you give an update how yours have held up?

I'm tempted to buy an extra set to have them available in case they ever burn out and I have to replace them in the future.

audiodave likes this.
  2. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am still running this unit in my car ->

I actually only have 1 installed. Installed one to compare it to HID one and ended up forgetting to install the other side. Every time I visit the forum, I am reminded then promptly forget. Previously the HID was going out so much and so often I figured the other HID would go out so soon that I would be forced to replace it. Now I am wondering how long the last HID bulb will last.

2Fats likes this.
  3. dddcr8024

dddcr8024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Prius gen2 LED light. IMG_20200816_210442.jpg O1CN01DYl6Og1pLb86kI4OC_!!2222945344.jpeg IMG_20200228_202634.jpg IMG_20200621_144320.jpg IMG_20200621_155738.jpg

4. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. tonymaupin

tonymaupin New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've got a 2004 Prius (base model) with HID and the left headlight assembly must be replaced as well as the ballast (going out every hour but restarts when I turn the headlights off and on). Since I have to get one new headlight assembly and probably a ballast would it be less expensive to change both lights out for and aftermarket LED solution, are there less expensive solutions out there? Any constructive guidance is appreciated!

As a side note, this is my first hybrid and this forum has been invaluable. I got it from an insurance pool, undrivable and now I'm driving it everywhere. I have been able fix the inverter overheating, rebuild the battery blades with 18650 cells, recover from the triangle of death and add bluetooth streaming.

6. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would say I have been happy with switching to a LED light. It was very inexpensive and was at least 95% equal brightness of the HID.. I think I paid $45. For me I just took out the old bulb pushed the HID cap to the side, then connected into the 12V line coming in from the black cover cap. I can switch back to HID if I so desired. Since the ballast on my left side went out I actually removed the HID connector. On my right side, I left it in play, thinking I would always be able to compare LED to HID at a drop of a cap.

7. tonymaupin

tonymaupin New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the suggestion. Since the drivers side headlight assembly is broken would I be able to purchase a cheaper non-HID assembly and install the LED bulb? The HID fixtures are hard to find and expensive

8. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it is cheaper to go the Non-HID way. I had already paid for newish used lights (so I could get a replacement ballast) , but you would need to figure out how to connect the HighBeam etc as if I recall that wiring might be different between the lights. Also since the LED was designed to work in an HID enclosure I am not sure if you would use the same type of LEDS or not.

I was looking for a quick solution that was reversible.