1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID to LED conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lloyd-ss, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And the shop may only spend an hour doing it which is fine with me.

Lloyd-ss likes this.
  2. Mirage42

Mirage42 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you want to see a video of a review of only light bulbs, and not all products, then I can disappoint you. The gen2 reflector headlight is outdated physically, morally and technically. With a new headlight, the result will suit you on any bulb. And nothing will help the old headlight, only good lenses.
    Perhaps you have organizations that are engaged in the conversion of headlights, they should be aware of.

Lloyd-ss likes this.
  3. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Another,
    ok, I think I understand your POV now, and it certainly makes sense. It sounds like what "tirerack.com" does. They ship the tires to you with a great selection and prices, and then connect you with a network of certified local installers. I've used their network and it works.

Another likes this.
  4. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I love your comment. So very true, and with a sense of humor.
    Lloyd

Mirage42 likes this.
  5. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My 2007 only has 110k miles on it, and it is still a great car. Zero major repairs, and the only 2 disappointments have been the headlights, which are now fixed, and the expensive GPS update discs. Rather than update the GPS, I just use a Garmin. If the discs were half as expensive, I would buy one today. Toyota just went past my threshold of pain on that one.

6. Mirage42

Mirage42 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with you, Prius Excellent reliable car. And the headlights can be corrected, in another topic I showed how I did it. LED headlights | Page 4 | PriusChat

Lloyd-ss likes this.
  7. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What about a phone mount and google maps or another similar app?

Lloyd-ss likes this.
  8. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You are right. Hard to beat a zero-cost solution. being a wee bit older :ROFLMAO: I am still learning what my phone is capable of.

9. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just watched the video and looked at the pictures you referenced. Very interesting. In the video the horizontal cut-off of the light beam looks very sharp, with all of the light staying below eye level, where it should be. Also, I was surprised by how much light you could see even when driving in an area that had street lights.

It looks like you kept the old headlight housings, and installed totally new internal light assemblies, using some bolts and lock nuts. The light assemblies are about 100mm in diameter, and 100mm long? How does the hi beam/low beam work? Does it have a mechanical shield that covers the bulb for low beam? I always thought that was a really weird way to do low/high beam. Unnecessarily complicated.
    But the lights in my Prius don't have capability to power 2 separate light circuits??? How does yours work?

SFO likes this.
  10. Mirage42

Mirage42 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All your guesses are correct. Module diameter 3 inches. Koito BI LED module operation is similar to standard HID. If everything is halogen, then you need to put a jumper in the relay that switches the near / far so that the near one is always included as HID. The most difficult thing is precise mechanical work. Also buy Koito bi led at a good price.

Lloyd-ss likes this.
  11. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It amazes me that with all of the people who supposedly would like updated disks that Toyota does not release the map interface software to open source developers. It is not rocket science and the alternatives are a PiTA to mount over the MFD which is the place the maps should be.

Lloyd-ss likes this.
  12. Gretchen1015

Gretchen1015 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for posting! The pictures really help too. I am a lurker too, with a 2008 Toyota Prius with those dreaded HID's. I think I will try the conversion--my HID's have been nothing but trouble, and very expensive too. I'm curious how your LED's have held up since 2018?

13. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    audiodave likes this.
  14. Lloyd-ss

Lloyd-ss Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    LED HEADLIGHT UPDATE AFTER 5 AND 1/2 YEARS

I did the original HID to LED conversion almost 6 years ago (Jan 2018).
    But after about 3 years (Oct 2021) one of the LED lamps stopped and I replaced both of them with some newer LED lamps, in post #112.

It is now Oct 2023, 3 more years later, and the newer LED headlamps are still working fine.

I find it a bit ironic that my 2016 Tacoma is still going strong with its original headlamps, now going on 7 years.

Lloyd

#134 Lloyd-ss, Oct 18, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
    TomHaraka, audiodave and strawbrad like this.
  15. TomHaraka

TomHaraka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any new/live links to conversion kits? My 2005 w/435k miles continues to kill the RH HID bulb (last replacement was 2 months ago). The AILEO one you posted about does not appear to be available anymore.
    I'm probably more interested in a conversion that comes with its own ballast, in case my original HID one is now bad. And of course, I'd also like to not have radio interference.
    Thoughts? Ideas? Links?

Also, any cheap sources for replacement dome dust covers? I've managed to shear most of the tabs off mine.

16. TomHaraka

TomHaraka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And... This thread refers to D4 bulbs, but I could swear that my 2005 Prius has D2 HID ones. Just want to check which LED kit to get.

17. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2004-5 use D2
    2006-9 use D4

Though most of the LED kits will probably work with both, as I believe they bypass the ballast and their differing voltages.

#137 talonts, Feb 24, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2024