1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Upgrade (from HID to BETTER HID)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Drakba, Oct 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Drakba

Drakba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I have a 2008 Prius touring with the factory HID lights, and am getting the random bulb failure in my driver's side HID bulb.

SO, rather than just slap another HID bulb in, I want to UPGRADE it to something brighter.

I see TONS of posts about converting Halogen to HID, but nobody is upgrading the stock HID to something brighter.

Any advise on it? I see there are lots of bulbs out there, including LED bulbs that claim to be 4800lumens or better.

If I upgrade, do I need to rip out the factory ballast, or is there another way to upgrade?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been having the same issue. It happens intermittently but it's been gone for some time now. If you want to upgrade I think you'd been to upgrade the whole kit (ballast and bulb).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Drakba

Drakba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my real question is around the ballast on the existing HID factory system. If I buy an upgraded HID system that come with more powerful ballasts, do I plug the ballast into the existing bulb socket? Or do I need to trace back where the factory ballast is, and remove it and replace it with the upgraded ballast?

4. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to trace it if you have connectors right by the bulbs. Sorry I just got the car and am still learning about it. I'm thinking of the upgrade and it can't be that hard. If anyone else has done it, please give your take.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A