1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Volt kit with or without relay kit?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by txl146, Mar 3, 2012.

1. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We've been driving around with Volt HID kit for several months without major issues, but I've come across several threads where people recommend relay kit with HID kit....

Ordered a relay kit ($40), but learned that 2 sets of wires must be connected to the battery. This makes engine bay a little messy...

Is relay kit really necessary? :)

2. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, to protect the wiring & get maximum brightness from the bulbs. I just did a HID retrofit on my 09 Corolla & wired in the harness with relays. :D

[​IMG]

You can see the relays in this pic.
    [​IMG]

3. tsktsk

tsktsk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Necessary? I would say no since the stock wiring provides enough power for the bulbs. I think the Volts would look exactly the same whether the power came from the existing wiring or from a relay since they are a quality set. Not sure what a Corolla draws power wise, so can't really compare what a Volt set would do on there. That being said, I think for piece of mind the relays would be a good idea. I was thinking about it on my set, but I think I am going to weight until they finally die (if that ever happens) and upgrade to the Xtreme Digital Kit since they have a 5000K bulb option.

4. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If your kit is 55 watt then you don't need a relay. The Prius "expects" 55 watts, if it doesn't sense 55 it may think the light has not been switched on and won't supply power or supplies it intermittently. If you have 35 watts then you may need relays, however if you are experiencing no problems then why worry?;)

5. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Kit is related for 35 watts.... I've had an issue with module going bad, which resulted in passenger side bulb being on all the time (even with power off). Module was replaced by dealer under warranty. Not sure if these issues are related or not...

Volt HID Digital+ HID Kits

6. genetiix

genetiix Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Though it may not be "necessary" the start up of an hid bulb draws a huge amount of power. The stock harness may handle it just fine. However, if something goes wrong, I'd rather melt a relay harness than my oem harness any day. The harness serves as cheap insurance. Clean it up with a bunch of zip ties if you are worried about it being messy.

7. tgtech

tgtech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm running the Volt HID Digital+ kit, too. The inrush current at startup is spec'ed at <6 amps (each ballast), so there shouldn't be any problem with running without a relay harness. Steady state draw is about 3 amps, so we should be fine. The fuse protecting the low beam circuit is a 40 amp, so we are well within the design rating of the factory wiring harness.

8. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Doesn't the volt kit already come with a relay??

Plus a pair of gloves ;)