1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID vs LED

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nesss01, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Exactly. In additional to the cost, bright LED still emits lights from a very concentrated area. Though, LED is relatively cooler than halogen or HID, the heat density is very high, which causes reliability concern.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone have any idea how they accomplish this? Lower wattage? Does this translate to lower lumens output?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Lower wattage per lumen. The actual brightness may be lower too - I didn't check. Mostly this new type of halogen lamp uses an infrared reflective coating on the inside of the bulb to keep the internal temperature higher.

Tom

4. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, EcoVision was not the one that caught my eye. As the Prius comes by its 12 v. power more economically than a conventional car does, I doubt that savings would come anywhere near the claimed four gallons. I was interested in the one that might help me see better:

[FONT=&quot]CrystalVision Ultra

:laser:
    [/FONT]​

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Conventional hot lamps radiate heat away from the bulb. LEDs, on the other hand, are poor heat radiators, so most of the heat stays with the device and is concentrated into a tiny space (the high heat density mentioned above). Heat management is one of the big challenges when working with high brightness LEDs.

Think of it as being like a furnace verses a small soldering iron. The furnace makes lots of heat, but sends it around the whole house, keeping temperatures at a comfortable level. The small soldering iron makes much less heat, but will easily burn you if you touch it. It's a matter of heat verses temperature.

Tom

6. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    On a similar note, does the Prius 12V supply seem "cleaner" than the typical car? I've had light bulbs last over 100k miles with regular use in this car that usually expired after 40-50k in previous cars (tail lamps, fog lamps, etc.). Any correlation?

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would guess this is the result of steady voltage, not cleaner voltage. Most cars use a simple voltage regulator that allows a bit more swing in voltage levels. Higher voltage will reduce the life a normal light bulb.

Tom

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Easy solution: link that space into the heat recovery system ;)

9. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that's what I was thinking. A more steady voltage source w/ fewer voltage spikes (DC noise?).

10. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Watch out for the LED stop lights in all 2004 and newer prius models. One of mine went very dim. I checked it and the LED is a special one of a kind prius only rube goldberg configuration that is not a replaceable bulb. I had to get the entire real light assembly replaced at a ciost of $350.

This was nor a warenty 100K items like the hybrid system so I had to pay. The turn signal backup and running lights are all simple dumb replaceable bulbs. The brake light is this only odd LED system. It's the dumb award winner for Toyota. What were they thinking !! they weren't.

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

just because you had failure of the system, does not mean that everyone does.

In fact, most new Toyota's now in Europe have had LED's at back, and I have to yet to see single failure. On the other hand, due to DRL requirements of late, failures of "simple" bulbs and HID's are embarrassing. Unlike in USA, full light is emitted by European DRL's, and hence life of bulb (even expensive long life ones which are given under warranty) is significantly shorter than before.

Toyota expects 15 year life of LED headlights in new Prius. LED lighting is the future, it is becoming standard accross many industries including auto.