1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID/Xenon Bulbs for Foglights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by adamorzol, Apr 18, 2007.

1. adamorzol

adamorzol New Member

On E-Bay they offer Xenon Bulbs for the Foglights on the Prius for ten bucks or so. The current foglights are "yellow" compared to the main headlights. Any recommendations on the best bulbs to get for the fog lights so that they are "white" and match with the main headlights?

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have been pondering the same thing. If you want them to look good and white, you might try PIAA Star White 9006 (HB4)

Star White bulbs are significantly whiter and brighter than normal halogen bulbs. The Star White bulbs operate at 3800K while normal halogen bulbs operate at 3200K. Star White bulbs feature PIAA’s exclusive XTRA Technology, which increases bulb performance without taxing your vehicle electrical system. PIAA Star White Bulbs can be used to upgrade performance in headlamps, fog lights, driving lamps and many other applications, throughout the vehicle.

With that said, if you want ot see good in fog and rain, this article says yellow is better and makes sense to me http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99xx4.htm.

I am somewhat confused how you could gain the benefit of this yellow light, when you cannot operate them independantly from the HID headlights though.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See http://vfaq.net/
    In particular:http://vfaq.net/mods/Lights.html

I bought White Lightning bulbs (80W I think...brighter than the OEM ones...but be warned they get hot--I had a thread on this but I can't locate it now) on ebay for about $25.

4. Lenwood

Lenwood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hid kits for fog lights are too bright.fog lights are designed to have a low wide beam. I would suggest using a yellowish tint halogen bulb and you'll be fine. If u go hid you will blind oncoming traffic regardless of conditions.

5. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    your HIDs are already so bright the fog lamps are really just for looks, I buy everything at advanceautoparts.com because you can google search to find amazing coupons (usually 40% off) and then pick it up in store. Any bulb you buy with a tinted glass (blue or whatever) WILL DIMINISH LIGHT OUTPUT, its okay for fog lamps but never ever do it on the main headlights, you won't see as far, you will get pulled over and given tickets, and your car will look like a honda civic/accord or pontiac grand prix/am.

your fog lamps take 9006 bulbs, advanceautoparts have the sylvania ZXE on sale for $50 ($60msrp) but the reviews aren't good. I use the sylvania Ultras which are on sale for $45 ($50 msrp) before coupons & taxes. The color more closely resembles the HIDs. An even bluer and cheaper alternative is sylvania COOL BLUE, which should match your HIDs exactly, but I'm not sure where to buy them.

due to those stupid Audis making my round fog lights look like an outdated 90's trend, I have removed my fog lamps and will put in the non fog lamp grilles just as soon as I figure out how to throw some LEDs into them and hook them up to my existing fog lamp wiring harness.