1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hidden usb power adapter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fulltlt, Aug 13, 2012.

1. fulltlt

fulltlt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am working on installing a hidden usb power adapter. My son who has been driving my 2005 Prius doesn't
    like the cord dangling from my Garmin gps I have suctioned to the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror.
    So I have this idea to put the usb power adapter in the sunglasses storage compartment and run the power wire
    out to the gps from there. I already have the usb adapter modified with a red and black wire coming out of it for
    the 12 volt hook up to the dome light wires. I want to have it powered on all the time unlike the 12v power outlets in the car that shut off when the car is turned off. (I hate that) Anyway, has anyone done this before? Any gotchas to be aware of?

2. fulltlt

fulltlt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, so how do you get to the dome light? I took the 2 screws out that are inside the sunglasses holder but it's
    still held on tight by something.

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hmmm... not sure how to accomplish what you want to do, but it sure sounds like a cool concept! would it be easier to run the power wire under the headliner down the A-pillar under the dash and tap into the cigarette lighter/power plug?

4. artrockets

artrockets Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the positive and negative parts on the circuit board, scraped the coating away and then soldered my connections... Self tapping screws will also work to hold the connection.

IMG_1606.JPG

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just be aware that the 12V to 5V converter uses a small amount of power all the time, even if nothing is plugged into it or if that device is turned off. That can affect the overall "parasitic draw" on the 12V battery. Which determines how quickly the battery will discharge if the car sits unused.

The overall change might be negligible, but you would need to test actually key off draw to know.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.