1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High beam wouldn't hold sometimes. Defect?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by mudworm, Oct 15, 2018.

1. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not long ago, I praised the automatic high beam feature in my 2018 Prius Two. It's gotten about 5400 miles on it, and so far, I've driven with high beam on for about a dozen times. It has happened to me twice that the high beam would not turn on. The 1st time, I played with different buttons such as turning on and off the automatic control, or turning on and off the high beam. At one point, it came on, so I brushed the problem off. But it happened again last night.

For all 30 minutes before I reached home, I could not make it come on and hold. If I pull the lever towards me, the high beam does come on when I'm holding the lever. But when I pushed the lever away from me to turn on (and hold) the high beam like how it's usually used, nothing happens. Whether I have the automatic control on has no impact.

I'll drive tomorrow and check it again. But does the above behavior sound like a defect, or am I misunderstanding how high beam works in a Prius?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It isn't as perfect as a driver - but generally quite good. It doesn't work well in a bright area, and more often than not, most mis-adventures it's played with have been from reflections from road signs. It also doesn't work well in the rain (and presumably fog).

Is the windscreen clean? I could be wrong, but I think it is tied in with the Forward Recognition Camera/sensor behind the rear vision mirror. It may work in conjunction with the Automatic Light Control sensor on the dashboard in the middle just behind the windscreen. Dust on the dashboard?

I believe in USA you can adjust the sensitivity (not in Australia). Instructions in the Owner's Manual.

3. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do remember some road sign reflection would turn off the high beam when it was on automatic mode. Last night, I actually make sure to turn off the automatic feature (that button to the left of steering wheel -- we driver sit on the left side of the car here) so that the recognition/sensor wouldn't interfere. But still, the high beam wouldn't turn on and hold (when pushed away from me).

I kinda hope it was something I wasn't aware of that caused this, because it would bum me out if it turned out to be a defect. Firstly, going to the dealership for a fix wastes my time and erodes my trust in the reliability of this machine. Secondly, I've only had this new car for 3 months. My Honda CR-V never had any product defect for all the 13 years and 270k miles I had it.

#3 mudworm, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to have the stalk away from you, AND the buttons near your knee like this - except your print won't be reversed:
    upload_2018-10-15_17-43-6.png

5. priusman09

priusman09 I used to be a TDI

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It won’t go to high if it is not dark enough outside. I’ve had it dark enough so the lights come on but not dark enough to work the auto high beams. They did work as it got completely dark

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hopefully.

The automatic mode is not perfect. It is designed to dim not only for oncoming cars but also when you get close to a car ahead.

Because of that, I assume, it also dims sometimes because of street lights and other bright objects in it's "field of view".
    When you activate it, the high beams will not come on if the system thinks they should be dim.

The point about being dark enough to activate the headlights at all is a good one too.
    Of course, that assumes that the headlights are automatic. Odd situation with my C: It has automatic high beams but NOT automatic headlights. Pretty stupid design.

I have found it pretty much useless in town......but you probably shouldn't be trying to use high beams in town anyway.

#6 sam spade 2, Oct 15, 2018
  7. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Automatic High Beam feature is turned off.

With that out of the way, let's start over. Are there any legit reasons for the high beam not to come on?

8. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    If your headlights were halogen I'd say check both bulbs but because they are LED, check fuses, headlamp connections, switch stalk, wiring etc.
    What I would do is turn Auto on, push the stalk forwards then find a really dark road and see if they work, on auto, under the correct conditions. If yes then you can eliminate all of the above and the fault most likely lies with the Auto button not turning off properly.

#8 kithmo, Oct 15, 2018
  9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes.

If the headlight switch is set to 'off' or 'DRL' then the high beam lock (push stalk to forward detent away from driver) will have no effect.

You may have been looking at your DRLs, mistakenly thinking the low beams were on. The momentary beam flasher (pull stalk towards driver) is not inhibited by any other control on the car, so that doesn't care which state the switch is set to.

10. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have an answer to my own question. The answer is "Yes, the driver is an idiot."

Today, I got in the car with an intention to check the high beam issue again. In the bright daylight, I was able to see that I had the light at the position for "The side marker, parking, tail, license plate, instrument panel lights, and daytime running lights" -- those are the words from owners' manual. Sheesh, I have no idea how I managed to drive home in the dark night on the mountain roads with those lights on. I knew I wanted high beam (so I could see far in case of deer in the road), but I didn't think there was any issue with my low beam, which is why I never checked the light position.

I'm borrowing a photo I found online for an older Prius. It's that one above DRL.
    [​IMG]

So, yes, Mr. McCoalroller was pretty much right.

11. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now, with that out of the way, under what circumstances would anyone ever want to have the light in this position for "The side marker, parking, tail, license plate, instrument panel lights, and daytime running lights?" I'll do DRL during the day and regular headlight during the night, so I can't think of any reason to be in that position.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I can only speculate that they are trying to combine multiple functions into few controls with the aim of harmonizing it for multiple markets with diverging regulations.

The DRLs are usually interlocked to the parking brake, so engaging the brake would douse the DRLs with the stalk switch on. In this configuration, the car would pass the tests for municipalities where a car parked temporarily must have its parking, tail, lp & side markers on AND headlights entirely extinguished. Disengage the brake to drive and now it's in a configuration that will pass US & Canada lighting laws. One more click on the lighting switch cap and you get full headlights legal for everywhere they sell it.

Other cars are set up so that the parking lights are given their own switch, and sometimes with no driver control of the DRLs apart from the brake handle or something buried in a dashboard UI menu.

I can't say I've developed a full-fledged mnemonic device for remembering the lights, but I have consciously put myself in the habit of rolling the headlight control knob forward one click for daytime driving and all the way for nighttime driving.

#12 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Oct 15, 2018
  13. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That position is called "parking lights".
    It is intended to be used when your vehicle is in a dangerous position and unable to move.......along with the 4-way flashers.
    Having the headlights OFF allows the "marker lights" to stay on longer.

14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Australian PRIUS does it completely differently (like lots of things) - we don't have an OFF switch.

It looks like your OFF turns everything OFF - which would be great in a Drive-in Theatre, or parked waiting quietly for someone with the A/C on.
    upload_2018-10-16_11-4-32.png

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mine are like this - no OFF:
    upload_2018-10-16_11-5-51.png

15. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Here in the UK we don't have the off or DRL positions on the switch, just Auto, side/parking lights and headlights. DRLs are on in daylight driving in Auto position and go off with any of the other two switch positions.
    This renders the UK Prius not good for undercover surveillance operations :whistle:

krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.
  16. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I think what got me was throughout my entire adult life, the 2nd click on the twist dial gets me the headlight (from OFF to Parking, which I never use, to Headlight). Now, Prius adds a DRL. I stop at the 2nd click subconsciously, which gets me the Parking light. I'm adapting....

#16 mudworm, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018