1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High Beams not working - 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dmax5705, Mar 7, 2008.

1. dmax5705

dmax5705 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    recently purchased a used 2006 Prius and now realize the high beams do no work. This is a single bulb headlight and it looks like there is some cover that perhaps is suppose to turn for high beam(?). It does not but I do hear a click when I flick the high beam switch from inside the car cabin. I looked at the backside of the headlamp wiring and I see three terminals coming out of the headlamp but only 2 are wired up. I did not notice any other connections but it is difficult to see.

this is a salvaged title car and am looking to fix it myself or at least understand whats wrong before I take it to a shop.

Appreciate any help. thanks.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you have HID headlamps? The HIDs are attached to a ballast unit. From your description I suspect you do. With HIDs, there is only one bulb for high and low; a little shutter moves into place for the low position. If the shutter has failed on both sides, I suspect a wiring or controller issue, as it would be unlikely to have two fail at the same time.

Tom

3. dmax5705

dmax5705 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    These don't appear to be HID. Based on what I can find on the internet the terminals coming out the back correspond to non-HID bulbs for the Prius.
    2004 - 2007 Toyota Prius Headlight Bulb

top picture looks like what I have.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have fog lamps on the car? If you do, then your headlights are HID. If not, then they are halogen bulbs.

5. dmax5705

dmax5705 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    yes I do have fog lights. The wiring I see by whoever did it appears to go from the fuse box area directly to the lightbulb itself.
    Does this sound right for a prius with hid lights? I looked under the hood of a friends prius but am unable to
    see anything as he has a cap that covers up the back of the fixture.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you have HIDs, there is a little yellow warning sticker above each light housing under the hood.