1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High Beams not working all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mike Kilo, May 15, 2019.

1. Mike Kilo

Mike Kilo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi....
    I just had a short trip in the city. These days i am travelling on quite rough under construction road. Tonight low and high beams were working fine but after a while i realized that high beams are not working. The blue high beam sign does glow when i pull the lever but light stays on low beam (both sides). Is it problem with the fuze or both high beam lights have fuzed at once?
    Expecting experienced advise from the kind forum.

2. BSat

BSat New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same problem here. Would love some help!

My normal headlights work fine but the high-beams don't. I've replaced the bulbs and checked the fuses. Both are good. 2013 Prius Two.

3. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Possibly need a new dimmer switch? (the thing on the steering column that you click to toggle back and forth from bright to dim)

4. DaveWhoDat

DaveWhoDat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine have quit working as well. Suddenly and unexpected. The blue dash light still comes on when the switch is activated, but there is no response from the high beams. Trying to locate a main fuse but having trouble finding any info. Identifix keeps sending me in circles... Anyone have any ideas?

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Repair Manual (more info) has some suggestions in the entry for “Both left and right high beam headlights do not illuminate,” under Vehicle Exterior: Lighting (Ext): Lighting System: Problem Symptoms Table. The first is to check H-LP HI MAIN (20 A) fuse, shown in the Owner’s Manual (PDF) as item 22 in the diagram of the engine compartment fuse box on pages 465–467.

The Repair Manual also gives a step-by-step procedure for checking the high beam headlight circuit itself. (See the Electrical Wiring Diagram for the wire colors.) The right and left headlight assemblies have separate fuses and grounds, so the problem is more likely to be in the DRL or DIM relay, or in wiring or connectors. It could be the DIM output of the main body ECU, but this is less likely.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three