1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High frequency pitch sound

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Electric Charge, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I test drive the PIP, I kept hearing a high frequency pitch noise whenever the car was accelerating. It almost sounds like when you lightly touch the trigger on a cordless drill. Sales guy and my wife couldn't hear it, but I do have extremely sensitive hearing.

A quick search didn't reveal anything, so I am wondering if this is a problem, or maybe part of the pedestrian warning system (although it happens at higher speeds as well). If someone can confirm this before I pick the car up today, that would be great. Thanks :)

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Perfectly normal, pick up the car and enjoy it and the ev driving which comes along with it! Prius and the plug in Prius is going to sound different than a conventional car you may be used to. Things like the inverter, electric motor, and the new pedestrian notification system make noises which at first seem different but are normal.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you must have dog ears.:p

4. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Pretty much, thought for sure it would go away as I get older, but still have my superman hearing :)

That said, it drove me nuts during the test drive, hopefully I can get used to it.

5. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What you are hearing most likely is the inverter. Its basically like a high frequency switching power supply on steroids. These switching supplies "chop" the output signal on and off very fast with high power semiconductors. The ratio of "on" time to "off" time allows a fairly precise control of output power as well as the AC sinewave generation. This is often done at kHz speeds, making it faintly audible. If you listen, you may also hear it during braking as the same thing happens with the regen system driving back through the inverter.

Here's a description of the basic idea if you're interested.
    TMEIC GE e-news: Drive Time

Rob

6. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Makes a lot of sense, thanks for confirming!

7. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah Ive heard it during breaking. If Im walking down the sidewalk and I hear the sound I always know there is a hybrid approaching.

SJ PiP likes this.
  8. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What I really hate is that god awful racket that comes from the front part of the car. Im not sure what it is but its in front of the dashboard and under the hood. God! I hate when I hear that sound!

9. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    remove it:D

10. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I sit in my garage with driver's side window down and I can immediately hear a high pitched sound when I put it in reverse and let off the brake. Put the brake pedal down again and it goes away. Let off the brake and it comes back.

I think it's the electric motor ...but I don't know why it would make noises with the brake off yet not moving.

11. MikeyF

MikeyF New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Isn't this the intentional sound put into all 2012 model years to give pedestrians the sound of something approaching?

12. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It sounds like you're hearing the pedestrian warning system. Its especially loud when sitting in the garage with the window down. It should go away past 15MPH or so. Although somewhere around 10MPH, I cant really hear it anymore while inside the car.

This can be disconnected, removed, etc. There are instructions here somewhere. IIRC, Rebound had a nice walk-through with pictures.

13. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

14. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What I meant was, the sound is present from 0-15MPH. And yes, the pedestrian warning system only makes a noise when your foot is off the brake. When your foot is on the brake, presumably while you're at 0 MPH in the garage, the noise goes away.

here's a video of it:

SJ PiP likes this.
  15. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ahh...thanks for that explanation. That makes sense.

I can't see any URL for a video. I've noticed before when people say "Heres a link, etc." I can't see it. Stupid computer ...of course it's not stupid operator.:)

16. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    so that explains the loud whirls... never heard on my stealthy first gen Highlander hybrid.

maybe this pedestrian warning switching on and off explains that faint click I hear when the brake pedal is depressed at slow speeds (no radio or ambient noise in the cabin of course)?

17. Dana Sion

Dana Sion New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Personally I feel it's best to leave the speaker hooked up, I don't want to see a white Prius turn "red".

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  19. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's what I thought because mine does not make any noise when standing still in EV but makes a Jetson like noise when it starts moving at low speeds.

20. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is another high pitch noise besides the pedestrian warning. And a drill is a great example, because mechanically its very similar. An electric motor spinning an axel.