1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High fuel consumption?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Globalgirl13, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Globalgirl13

Globalgirl13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    I just purchased a used 2012 Prius C today and every article I have read says I should be getting 3.9 litres/100km. Well, as I drove the car home today (city driving), it registered 6.6 litres/100km most of the way home. Is there something wrong with the car? Is this normal? Did I buy a lemon?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GG we need miles per gallon if possible

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you are likely just seeing short trip mpg. no need for concern. report back after you have file a couple tanks and done manual calculations.

i doubt you got a lemon, did you get the yellow?

Globalgirl13 likes this.
  4. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    43 miles per gallon is not bad. Considering you have told us nothing of the route, your driving style, psi tire pressure, ambient temperature, and whether you used the A/C, in addition to other stuff, 43 might be great or just below average.

This forum contains thread after thread discussing these things. Look around and use the search feature (which ain't that great, but try it.) You can often have your question answered more quickly using your standard search engine and including priuschat in your search.

Chances are you haven't got a lemon at all. Good luck and welcome.

Watch this video a few times or until you understand it all.

#4 ufourya, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    Globalgirl13 likes this.
  5. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. I apologize for not using gallons, but I live in Canada and don't know about miles/gallon.

My driving was on city roads, doing 40 - 70 kms/hour with lots of lights. I only drove for 20 minutes - not aggressively at all. I was too busy thinking about coasting ;) I believe the car was sitting in the dealership lot for quite some time, and it's cold outside (4 degrees celsius this morning), maybe that's why it starts at 15 litres/100km everytime I turn it on. Kept climate control at 21.5 degrees celsius and I believe the tire pressure is where it should be - as the dealership is supposed to do an inspection/safety check before they sell you the car.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Cold is not a boon to fuel economy, my Prius have performed most frugally about 30C.
    Tire inflation should be near the sidewall max, not the door frame number for max fuel economy. (40 PSI but I do not know metric for that)
    The Prius spends the beginning of each trip getting warmed up to meet emissions requirements, only after that is it tuned to get good fuel economy. Your commute may never get the engine warm enough for 3.9 in winter except on trips over 80 km.

Globalgirl13 likes this.
  7. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks Jimbo! So, what you are saying, is that if I have a short drive (like I do every day to work - 15 minutes going 60/hour), I will always be using more gas since my car won't have warmed up by then? If that is the case, I probably should have kept my Toyota Echo! Even tonight, on a 65 km trip that took me 50 minutes on mostly highways, it never got below 5.1 litres/100km.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is something wrong with that 'optimistic' Canadian rating scale, which is why the US changed its similarly optimistic scale 8 years ago, to something more realistic. The Euro and Japanese scales continue to be even more over-optimistic.

Globalgirl13 likes this.
  9. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Ahhhhhhh!!! Well, there you go! I guess as long as it gets something like my old car, then I won't feel so bad for letting her go (6.7 L/100 km (42 mpg), hwy. 5.2 L/100 km (54 mpg). But I really thought the Prius C would be better on gas! On average, how many miles do you get to a full tank? I can convert that!

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect your summer fuel economy will beat the Echo but your sub zero temps economy won't. To the extent possible combine trips.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should have kept your echo. that is our general advice for people who come here before buying a car, who have a commute like yours.

12. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    I wish I had known! I did a lot of reading and research before buying the Prius C, but there are no articles that took the time to explain that the car starts at 15 litres/100 km and then lowers over the duration of your drive. This is a huge let down for me. I was so excited about this car, and now it seems that I will use MORE fuel in a car that's supposed to be more environmentally friendly.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i doubt you will use more in the long run. try and enjoy it for what it is, it must be a lot more fun than the echo?

Data Daedalus and Globalgirl13 like this.
  14. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Well, it certainly has more bells and whistles, that's for sure!!! I have the technology package ... with sunroof etc. It is the complete opposite of what I had (which was nothing ;)
    But I really do miss shifting gears. The Prius C doesn't seem to have much pep, compared to shifting gears in the Echo. I technically still have the Echo, but lots of offers on it. Maybe I should just keep it ... but having two cars seems kind of dumb.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    6.6 liters per 100 km does not equal 43 miles per (US) gallon, it's around 35.6.

That said, I think GlobalGirl13 just needs to hang in there, for a tank or two. And even then, if the cold persists in that region, it's gonna be lower than usual. (Think it's snowing in Toronto right now.) If a calculated tank comes in around 5 liters per 100 km (47 mpg), that would be quite good. The dash displayed mpg is typically a bit higher, Toyota trying to exaggerate.

Anytime you want to convert between US mpg and metric Liters per 100 KM, just divide either value into 235.2. The result is the conversion.

Globalgirl13 likes this.
  16. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks again, everyone. I really do appreciate the feedback.
    Thanks Mendel Leisk. I am going to watch the fuel consumption closely ... hopefully it all works itself out. The car is quite wonderful, really. I just didn't expect to be consuming 15 litres/100km every time I start it the car. It seems to take a while to go down, and in my short drives, doesn't get lower than 6.1 it seems. I only wish I had known this before I bought it.

17. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 'who should not own a Prius" post I wrote back in the days of Gen2 that addresses short commutes, I post it when I hear some one expressing interest in what a Prius is not good at.

considering a Prius | PriusChat

but I hate to always be crying 'it will never work'.

This graph is in MPG, it would start high and swoop down in km/l but the point is, if you only drive in the curve, you are not getting the best economy.
    [​IMG]

In cold weather, warm up will take longer.

Globalgirl13 likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Set your trip meter so it's displaying accumulated liters per 100 km, since last reset. Then if you reset it at each fill up you'll get a rough overall idea, albeit a bit optimistic. If our's for example were to read 4.7, calculated is more-n-likely 5.0. With the c it might be a bit closer, I think they've backed off on the exaggeration somewhat.

Short trips are bad on fuel economy. If you can avoid impulse drives, and consolidate errands, whatever, it helps. The block heater too, it's around $250 installed through the dealership, as set out on Toyota Canada website. In TO it makes a lot of sense.

Globalgirl13 likes this.
  19. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks Jimbo! I think I know the answer to my problem - buy a house that's further away from work! Thanks again for your useful link and visual.

20. Globalgirl13

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    I believe the trip meter is already set up to show me each trip (I bought it used). But I will fill it up soon and reset it - need to read the manual to figure that out! Thanks again, Mendel.