1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High inventory of 2010 Prius's

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by alfon, Oct 14, 2009.

1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Out here in northwestern Oregon, Warrenton, Lum's Toyota has several, at least 9, 2010 Prius on their lot.

A while back they had none. It looks like Toyota in Japan is producing the Prius in large quantities.

Has anyone else noticed the high inventory of the 2010 Prius at their local Toyota dealer?

alfon

2. spinnsilly

spinnsilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    nope, not here in the sf bay area. especially for package II. they are all accounted for when i call around except for the occassional silver one...

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    9 on their lot means all 9 are being sold and waiting to be picked up. That does not mean high inventory. Toyota only manufactures their cars as they are ordered. It's been their business model since the 1940s that allows them to run effectively and efficiently.

4. codybigdog123

codybigdog123 Got Mad and Left in a Tizzy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Nope, not in the suburbs where I live near Chicago. At any given time, there may be 3-5 on the lot...but a few months ago when I asked a salesperson, they told me that typically half the number they have on the lot are already sold (ie have a deposit on them) and just waiting for delivery. I know my car sat on the lot for about 9 days, as i was out of town on business & vacation.

5. Mrgreenjeans

Mrgreenjeans New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    not in Buffalo ny either, if there on the lot there waiting for delivery

6. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In San Diego one dealer advertises he has 60 available and a $1000 off certain models. Other dealers als seem to ahve a good supply on hand.

7. sshaw10

sshaw10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What dealer?

8. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In central IL I noticed 3 unsold on the lot last weekend. Typically any on that dealer's lot up till this point in time were all sold.

9. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the supply is definitely going up after the cash for clunkers thing. When that was going on, almost no one here in NJ had them in stock, now some dealers have multiple cars on inventory, although they seem to have a high turnover (probably because some of those on the lot are pre-ordered). I noticed sales reps had to check first whether a Prius was sold already before becoming serious with us on it when we asked questions about one..

10. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Our local dealer has 17 last week and 23 on the new inventory list today.

11. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    * I think there are MANY here who would like to know where this information came into your possession!

David (aka Blind Guy)

12. codybigdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Seems way high to me... unless this dealership has been buying up inventory all over SoCal to hord and mark up (even though they may advertise a $1K discount).

According to this October 9th article, there is a 1 week supply of prii in the US: 2010 Prius Supplies Still Scarce, Toyota Considers US Factory...Again - All About Prius

" As global demand remains high for the 50-MPG 2010 Toyota Prius, stocks of the car at U.S. dealers are down to a one-week supply, which is all but sold out. A normal supply is considered to equal 60 days' worth of sales."

There are over 1,400 Toyota dealerships in the US, and in the 1st Q, Toyota sold over 22,000 Prii in the US....and are on pace to sell between 85K-95K/yr. Clearly, some dealerships get a bigger alottment than others, but a medium-to-larger dealership might expect to get up to 20/month...and for much of the Summer, the rollout was very slow. So, the bottom line is - I might expect 20-30, but not 60.

13. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just did a quick search of craigslist here and 7 showed listed within the last 24 hours. When I was buying mine, a month ago, they would show up listed from dealers sporadically then be sold very fast ( a few hours).
    There is some evidence, here at least, that the supply is catching up with demand.

14. codybigdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think over much of the Summer, and through the "cash for clunkers" program, the supply was artificially low...in part because 55% of the production capacity was going just to meet local demand in Japan. According to the article i linked, it's more typical to have a 60 day supply on the lot. At the end of September, the supply was stated as 1 week for the Prius. Unless oil prices climb dramatically, I'm sure supply-demand will begin to balance out to something more typical, ie, 3-5 weeks worth of inventory.

15. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I work for one of the largest biotech firms in the world (that's all I'll say). My company models our business specifically after Toyota, primarily when it comes to manufacturing. "Toyota" comes up at several meetings.

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Longo Toyota currently has only 20 Prius compared to 60+ back in July when I bought mine.

17. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are a few of them readily available if you are looking for Pkg 3 + Nav or higher pkgs with some discount. As far as I know dealers in my area are not getting Pkg 3 without Nav anymore. So if you're looking for stripped version you have to go for Pkg 2 and they are still very hard to get unless there is a cancellation in the waiting list.

18. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would be nice if you can mention the dealer name or area since this will definitely benefits some who are still looking.

19. Frankblack0503

Frankblack0503 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is that why here in Europe the TOYOTA's at the hubs rust away because they won't get sold ?
    I think that the business model it out of date then...

20. Hippie

Hippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear you on that, brother! I've just been lookin' hot cruising around Haight/Ashbury in my '10 smoking a doober!