1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High Mileage Rough Idle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 400kclub, Jun 11, 2021.

1. 400kclub

400kclub New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have an ‘09 Prius with 405k miles. She’s been an absolute workhorse but she is throwing p0300, p0301, p0302 codes. It started as just p0301 and then I tried a bunch of things and now it’s throwing the p0302 as well. When driving under normal circumstances, it sounds great. However, when I first start the car up, I have a rough idle. Also, when I’m sitting at a stop light running on the battery for let’s say a minute, when the engine kicks back on, the rough idle pops back up for 10-15 seconds.

So far I’ve tried:
    Swapping spark plugs
    Swapped Coil 1 with coil 2
    Cleaning PCV Valve thoroughly with carburetor spray
    Thoroughly cleaned throttle body
    Put some gumout in my tank thinking it could be the fuel injector(s)

Could it be that one of the fuel injectors is failing given the high miles? Specifically, could one of the fuel injectors be flooding the engine while stopped? Could I just have a leak causing a small amount of oil or coolant to get in while sitting? Could it be that I need to swap out the throttle body because it’s getting stuck at low rpms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    have you cleaned your VVT screen and valve?

3. 400kclub

400kclub New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have not. Do you think the symptoms seem consistent with that?

I haven’t logged P0011 or P0012 but I was just reading up on it and it seems that sometimes wouldn’t throw a code. The only other thing I was thinking is that I didn’t lubricate the throttle body after cleaning. Could that have something to do with it?

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe, but a thin application of machine oil certainly wouldn't hurt.

5. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just cleaned mine and its at 265K, it was almost clogged.. your actuator spring might be tired or something is stuck in there stopping the complete closure of the intake cam.. what are your cam timing readings in inspection mode?

6. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    here's my suggestions depending on your level of brave

Remove intake, pinch off coolant lines on TB, clean out (oil guaranteed in intake), physically check PCV lines going to TB, replace all gaskets.

Install an oil catch can

Check and clean / replace VVT actuator and cam sensor

Remove and have injectors cleaned and flow matched and check for Kick voltage and good ground. (make sure they are not some Chinese junk)

Clean the Intake ports and valves of the 3 CLOSED ports, block off the open valves, after the other 3 are super clean and you've blown out the ports, MANUALLY turn the crank until the open valves are closed and clean the last one.. once all cleaned inspect the valves for damage..

check fuel pressure at the manifold, if you have a full test kit, do a drive test for pressure drops

7. 400kclub

400kclub New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That looks pretty brave given my limited engine knowledge. I managed to clean the vvt screen and valve with some carb cleaner. The screen wasn’t horrible but certainly had some oil. Unfortunately, the issue is still ongoing. One update though is that I’m no longer getting a cylinder misfire after driving ~400 miles and using some b-12 chemtool. Oddly, my inverter coolant pump gave out on me about 300 miles in but I managed to get home ok. Before realizing my misfire codes had gone away, I put a higher concentration of high mileage seafoam in my tank having read that a higher concentration can help (2 oz/ gallon).

How would I go about getting cam timing readings in inspection mode? I managed to get into inspection mode and hookup my Bluetooth scanner and created a few screenshots from live readings in car scanner. I’m not sure if this tells you anything but I’ve attached them for your reference. I really appreciate your help.

#7 400kclub, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  8. 400kclub

400kclub New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm not super knowledgable when it comes to engines though its certainly become more of an interest as a result of these recent issues so apologies in advance if I'm a little slow. After looking through some screenshots I saved while in inspection mode, I noticed a reading of 10 degrees which was listed as "timing advance" in the car scanner tool I'm using. I noticed that this increased to 14 degrees once the engine started charging the battery. Does that help provide any information? If not, could you help point me in the right direction?

9. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    do a idle relearn.

10. 400kclub

400kclub New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Doesn’t the vehicle do that automatically when the 12v battery is disconnected?

11. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes

12. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my 2009 was running absolutely horrific one day, tried the battery disconnect, ran a little better, but then I did a computer reboot and it completely fixed it..

http://crrtraining.com/CRR2/assets/pdfs/QT611C.pdf

crap wrong pdf..

did you clean out the intake for oil?

#13 Brucetafer, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  13. 400kclub

400kclub New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I didn't clean out all the oil in the intake because at the time, I was concerned about removing the throttle body completely when cleaning because of leaking coolant, etc. Could that cause my symptoms?

Today, I ordered a set of rebuilt oem fuel injectors to see if replacing them might help. My Prius hasn't thrown a code for a misfire in a while but I did notice a count of 7 misfires in cylinder 1 in the noncontinuous monitor. Is it possible that injector 1 is getting stuck slightly open due to carbon buildup and slowly flooding the cylinder when it cycles off? It's just interesting how when I start the engine cold, it rarely has the idle issue, it occurs when the engine cycles back on to charge the battery after it's been sitting a couple minutes in park or at a stoplight.

14. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    that will help for sure, I've rebuilt and reconditioned tons of prius injectors, I've only had one leak at 50PSI but it wasn't bad enough to cause any issue, other than a super clean cylinder.. if the PCV hoses are messed up and a ton of oil in the intake / intake valves, it causes all kinds of issues..

400kclub likes this.
  15. 400kclub

400kclub New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update. A few days ago, I swapped out the water pump which fixed the p0A93 code. The following day, I got another coolant temp warning light so I checked an my engine temp was up to 245 so I checked and my coolant was pretty low. It’s possible I lost some coolant while replacing the pump or perhaps I have a slow leak and hadn’t stayed up on it.

Today, my fuel injectors came in the mail and I successfully installed them (to my surprise) but, sadly, I’m still having the same issue. Afterwards, recalling your post above, I removed the TB, pinched the lines (messier than I was expecting) and cleaned the remaining oil from the intake. Still the same issue. The only thing I haven’t done (because I feel like I’m over my head) is to clean the intake ports and to check the vvt selenoid with the 12v to see if it actuates quickly. I should mention that I have had the the p0420 failed cat code for about 150k miles. Not sure if it could be causing some sort of exhaust issue given the high miles. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks so much for your help!

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To be clear you change the inverter water coolant pump, correct? It pays to be specific so people do not have to make assumptions. There are 4 water pumps (in the NA Prius), three of them are in the engine coolant loop and one is in the inverter coolant loop.
    Assuming you mean when you changed the inverter water coolant pump, then no, they have nothing to do with each other. If you changed the engine water coolant pump, then it would have been obvious that you lost coolant assuming you didn't drain the radiator and the engine block first. If you changed the engine water coolant pump to fix the P0A93 then you also changed the wrong pump
    More than likely.

SFO likes this.
  17. 400kclub

400kclub New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I was referring to the inverter coolant pump. Do you have any recommendations for the rough idle issue/ cylinder 1 misfire?

Could my symptoms be consistent with a damaged throttle body

I know a guy who has a fleet of Gen 2 Pri and 2 of them have failed engines and both made it to 600k miles. He also told me that his cars burned through so much oil that you never have to do an oil change so I also don’t think he was super careful with maintenance.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sure would be convenient if it worked that way, wouldn't it?

400kclub likes this.
  19. 400kclub

400kclub New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just in case this helps someone else out in a similar situation: It appears that a small, coolant leak can form in the head gasket at cylinder 1 around 400k miles in Gen 2. This will eventually cause misfires. After driving it more, my symptoms became eerily similar to another post.
    Is it really an internal coolant leak? | PriusChat

I used Bar’s Block Seal Liquid Copper which can be used as a temporary measure to try to stop the leak. So far, the behavior has stopped and it’s been a couple days.

I have read that the main ingredient in this Bar’s formulation, sodium silicate is some pretty powerful stuff which hardens to a rock when heated to above 120 degrees c and there are instances of people driving for years with gasket issues. It’s also known for killing engines when put in crank cases so don’t use it with any old coolant leak. Apparently, it was once used to destroy tank engines.

I will update the forum with updates on how it works for me but thanks for everyone’s help.

#20 400kclub, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021