1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

high mileage synthetic or just synthetic?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ericspoor, Aug 8, 2018.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bring your own oil. Buy 5 quart jug from Walmart and take 1.5 guards out. Bring them that jug and then take the empty jug back. You can use it to juggle future Walmart jugs.

If you throw your keys to an oil change pplace or especially the dealer and say change the oil they will overfill the shite out of it.
    If you bring them exact amount and a new $4 factory filter they cannot mess it up.
    Well maybe not. Always check. After any oil change drive it home let it sit and then check it. May need a top off maybe not.
    Keep it at the full line. Always, Tiny little motor only holds like 3.9 quarts total.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's basically my philosophical approach as well.
    I almost look at it like medicine. It might be very, very good and helpful. But you shouldn't take it, if you don't need it.

I'd wait until the "symptoms" of a high mileage vehicle manifest. Then I'd consider the "High Mileage" formulations.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you just come upon this stuff, read the label, it says "high mileage", and you think "well that's me, better start using this stuff". Like geriatric vitamins... :rolleyes:

frodoz737 likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At Walmart there is no price difference between high mileage synthetic vs. synthetic oil of a particular brand. I don’t see the harm in using high mileage synthetic.

Raytheeagle likes this.