1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High Pitch Sound - No Brakes!!!! C1241, C1252, C1256 & C1391

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusFL2007, May 13, 2021.

1. PriusFL2007

PriusFL2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Reviewed a few posts here where and symptoms seem to point to a likely very expensive repair :'(

I managed to put Techstream on a beater laptop with XP on it and got some codes but have no clue of where to cross reference them.

Error codes were: C1241, C1252, C1256, C1391

Will post the noise shortly. It sounds as soon as I open the door of the car while the car is off then gets quiet. If the car is off and I press the breaks I'll hear the high pitch noise/warning while I press the brakes pedal. When I release the pedal the noise goes away. Then, if I start the car the noise will not go away for as long as the car is running. The brakes pedal gets stiff and there's very little breaks. Can't really drive it except with emergency lights for short distances (like Tire Kingdom or Gatto's which fortunately are about two miles from my house).

As fr as you know, Are these codes enough to tell what type of repair needs to be conducted on my car?

Best regards to everyone and thanks in advance for your input.

Attached Files:

2. PriusFL2007

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    To hear the noise copy and paste on your browser the link on the pic below. Link to brakes sound.png

SFO likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like you need a new brake actuator, pretty common, albeit expensive.

4. PriusFL2007

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the reply bisco.Did you reach that conclusion by listening to the noise or did that show in the codes? Are you in the US? Do you know if a shop like Tire Kingdom or Gatto's could conduct this repair?
    Could those coeds also mean changing the master cylinder? My fear is getting to the shop not having a clue and letting them add item s to the invoice that aren't necessary to repair. Will changing the actuator require flushing the lines? Where does the actuator go? The first symptoms were a squeaky sound that did not come from the rotors/pads/drums but from the pedal itself even if the car was stopped. I plan to take the car to the shop later today. I really hope to gain enough knowledge from here to there so that I'm not clueless when I get the car to the shop. Thank you.

5. PriusFL2007

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Gatto's wanted $500 for labor but the cheapest they could get the part for $1,800 !!! Still waiting to hear from Tire Kingdom. Found a supplier that would give 180 days warranty on their used units which sell for less than $400. No bad

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can google the codes. the sound is brake failure warning.
    i'm no expert, but there are lots of threads here because it is a very common issue. i suggest googling and reading up on the failure.

i have no issue with used, but if it fails, you'r on the hook for labor, unless you diy.

i would want someone who has done it before. i would not trust tire or muffler shop. not even a brake shop, unless they specialize in hybrids.