1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High Pitch Squeak/Whistle while accelerating and braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sufyant, Jun 16, 2011.

1. sufyant

sufyant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My 2007 Prius Touring creates high pitch Squeak/Whistle sound while accelerating and braking, But if I put the car on neutral then the sound completely goes away. I have all the holes covered on the both side mirrors and this still occurs. The sound is constant for as long as I accelerate and Brake and the intensity varies with how hard I accelerate or brake, It also does that during regen braking when I leave the accelerator. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Thanks.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I suspect your problem is good hearing. Your Prius uses an inverter to drive the electric motors, and the high frequency drive pulses can be heard by anyone with good hearing. It sounds like a high pitched whine, and is most pronounced while accelerating and braking.

Tom

3. sufyant

sufyant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It might be true but I had a 2005 prius before this and it never made this sound, would the inverter be different for both in terms of sounds they create?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. sufyant

sufyant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about that I wanted to delete the first thread but couldn't find a way. Investigating this further when I put the car in parking mode and give acceleration and when I release acceleration it makes the same squeak/whistle. Is it still the inverter or something else? Does the inverter still work in parking mode?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The inverter is functioning whenever the Prius is READY. Perhaps you can have someone rev up the engine while the car is parked, so that you can stand by the engine compartment and listen around to see whether the sound is coming from the inverter or elsewhere.

7. sufyant

sufyant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone. It was the inverter making those sounds so Toyota replaced it under warranty and the sound is now gone or at least I don't hear it anymore :). So I think for some reason it was a lot louder than it should have been and now its been suppressed.

2 people like this.
  8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Good to know! Thanks for the update. :)

9. pipaluk

pipaluk New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our Prius - which we love dearly - sometimes emits a high pitched whistle, a sound very much like the one when you are sharpening an ax on a grindstone. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it: it can happen in town (ie at low speeds) or on the motorway, when accelerating, or when slowing but NEVER when standing still. Our Toyota dealer has checked it out (without taking it out on the road) but says there's nothing wrong. Hope they're right as we're about to drive some 3,000 miles on holiday and and ear-piercing whistle for all - or any part of that - would be craze-making.

10. pipaluk

pipaluk New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our Prius - which we love dearly - sometimes emits a high pitched whistle, a sound very much like the one when you are sharpening an ax on a grindstone or astone caught in the brakes. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it: it can happen in town (ie at low speeds) or on the motorway, when accelerating, or when slowing but NEVER when standing still. Our Toyota dealer has checked it out (without taking it out on the road) but says there's nothing wrong. Hope they're right as we're about to drive some 3,000 miles on holiday and and ear-piercing whistle for all - or any part of that - would be craze-making.

11. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    has checked it out (without taking it out on the road)

Take it back to the dealer and have them drive it on the road. If the sound happens more often when warmed up, drive the car some before the visit. As the inverter is a likely cause, have the technician load the system with running the A/C and headlights. Be persistent , perhaps ride along during the test drive.

I wouldn't drive the car making a noise like that on a long trip, its not just annoying, its risky in my opinion..

12. Joseph Wilde-Ramsing

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hi sufyant,
    I think I am having the same problem, but unfortunately my Prius is not under warranty any more. Did you get an idea of how serious the problem is for the overall performance of the car? Is it dangerous to drive? Thanks.
    Joseph

13. sufyant

sufyant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I dont think there are any performance issues or any danger for me the only issue was it was very annoying because I could hear it loudly and clearly so I assume it had to do something with sound insulation but after they replaced my inverter the sound was gone.

14. Joseph Wilde-Ramsing

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

ok, thanks. any idea how much it would have cost you to replace the inverter if yours hadn't been under warranty?

15. sufyant

sufyant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe they said somewhere around $4000

16. Philliplewis590

Philliplewis590 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm hearing something similar in my 2010 prius. What about an inverter flush? Would that work or does the whole thing have to be replaced?

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be an idea to ask your question in a Gen 3 forum. What appears to be the same, may be not applicable across generations.