1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

high pitched noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nancy Budish, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Nancy Budish

Nancy Budish New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When it is cold (below 30 degrees) and above about 30mph, there is a loud high pitched squeal (rather like the pitch of a squealing hearing aide)that seems to come form the front drivers side. The colder it is, the louder it is.
    When I am able to take it in it is too warm to hear it. What might be causing the noise and will they be able to figure it out if it isn't making the sound?
    N

2. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your member info indicates that you own a 2009 Prius Liftback and not a Prius C. If this is the case you may want to post in another forum. I have owned a Gen III Prius as well as the Prius C and neither ever made the sound that you describe. It is interesting that you made the analogy of electronic feedback from a hearing aid. Do you wear a hearing aid? I only mention this because if your hearing is poor and you can hear it easily, it must be loud and high pitched.

I have owned cars that only screwed up when it was cold. I scheduled appointments based on the weather and left the vehicle at the dealership on the evening of a cold night. The service personnel understood my complaints and were ready the next morning to experience the problem first hand. This worked out quite well.

Since you have a "noise" problem with the car, it may be helpful to use a voice recorder to capture the sound while driving. You can play it back to the non-believers at the dealership so they know exactly what the problem is.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, please don't tell people to post the same question to another forum. That simply leaves two threads strewn across multiple forms. I've already moved this one but in the future to anyone, just report the post for a moderator to move it. Pease do not just post it again in another forum. Thank you.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat!i sometimes get a whistling sound, but it's intermittent. probably a motor or the inverter. nothing to worry about, i'm sure. all the best!

5. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its the coolant heat recovery pump. They can get noisy with age and colder temperatures aggravate the problem. It doesnt indicate any failure, just a noisy pump. When its warm out the noise usually subsides.

Toyota did issue a TSB on the noise and would replace the pump if you were still under the manufacturer 3/36 warranty.