1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High pitched sound normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Patty N, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Patty N

Patty N New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When driving, we hear a very high pitched sound that is annoying. Is this normal? I have a friend who also has a Prius and she says she does not hear this, but she's older, and her hearing may not be the best.

2. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Prius makes a lot of sounds that are different from the average car, including a sort of high pitch whine from the electric motors and inverters. But there is no way to know from a description what you are hearing, and if you have any doubts, stop by the dealer and ask them to take a listen. Or hop in another one on the lot and see if it makes the same noise.

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The page 31 of owners manual says everything.
    -----
    Sounds and vibrations specific to a hybrid vehicle
    There may be no engine sounds or vibration even though the vehicle is able to move. Always push the “P†position switch when parked.
    The following sounds or vibrations may occur when the hybrid system is operating, and are not a malfunction.

• Motor sounds may be heard from the engine compartment.
    • Sounds may be heard from the hybrid battery (traction battery) behind the rear seat when the hybrid system starts or stops.
    • Sounds from the hybrid system may be heard when the back door is open.
    • Sounds may be heard from the transmission when the gasoline engine starts or stops, when driving at low speeds, or during idling.
    • Engine sounds may be heard when accelerating sharply.
    • Sounds may be heard due to regenerative brake when you press the brake pedal or release the accelerator pedal.
    • Vibration may be felt when the gasoline engine starts or stops.
    • You may hear cooling fan sounds coming from the air intake vents behind the rear seat.
    -----
    Ken@Japan

4. SPlautz

SPlautz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I too hear this high-pitched whining at times when accelerating and braking. The sound varies randomly in pitch and intensity and is not related to how much I'm breaking or accelerating. It goes away completely when stopped or idling. And so far, I have not heard it while in EV Mode. I reported it to the Toyota Dealer on Friday, the day after I picked up my new Prius. They put in a call to headquarters about it and are suppose to call me back this week on the findings. There were no other Priuses on the lot to drive to compare it to and the repair guys obviously didn't have any clue what it was, where it was coming from or whether it was normal. lol At least they were able to confirm the noise existed. The best they could do is check the service bulletins and then contact headquarters for further guidance. Mine is a Prius V with AT. Yours?

5. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the other suggestions don't help check for a cheerleader in the back seat.

2 people like this.
  6. SPlautz

SPlautz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I did more tests on this and it does make the noise at times when idling and in EV mode. So I was wrong on that.

The dealer got back with me. They told me they got in another Prius and it made the same high pitched noise I was describing. So I went down there and test drove the Prius just to make sure. It was a Prius II where mine is a Prius V. It only took me a couple minutes to confirm that it too was making the same noise.

So my conclusion is that the high pitched noise is normal unless perhaps it is something that just started with newer Prius' coming out of the factory. I kind of doubt it. I guess it's something I'll have to get use to and who knows, maybe it will fade away some as the car breaks in more.

And yes, I checked the back seat and no cheerleaders there, unfortunately. lol

7. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I kinda like all the little whines, whistles, and subleties of the Prius drivetrain. They are so much quieter than most cars, I often don't even hear it running. But when I do notice it, the car kind of reminds me of the world's tiniest diesel-electric train or what a subway car might sound like if Mercedes-Benz made them :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Patty N

Patty N New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think I'll ever get used to this sound...ugh. I took it to the dealership and they said it was normal. But what else could they say. It's a Prius II. I don't mind the other noises, but this is annoying. I guess I don't understand why some have it and others don't. I have a friend who bought one about a week before I did, and she does not hear this.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

10. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't hear the high-pitched whine in my Prius V, but do hear it in our hybrid Camry, but only at low speeds and mostly when running on electric power. It's either the electric propulsion motor or the power-split device or a combination of the two. For the most part, it's not noticeable, but when it happens, it is noticeable, not overpowering. I also never heard it in our previous 05 Prius. Perhaps installing Dynamat under the carpet and in the doors will help subdue this for you.

11. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here's a thought???
    You said your friend bought a Prius the week before you...have you driven in it with the exact conditions as present in your vehicle and not heard it? You obviously couldn't be talking or that, so wondered if you tried that or she would let you drive her car to see....if you still notice it??

I only notice it with no radio and driving slow, once I am at highway speeds and with other heavier traffice it's not even a discussion then... ;)

12. G3priusV

G3priusV Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've never heard any unusual sound when driving. I only hear a loud squeaking noise when I slow down to stop at a red light or drive through windows. But I guess this brake noise seems like becoming a normal sound for most of us now! :)

13. noel8414

noel8414 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I also hear a high pitched noise in my Prius V with AT. I never heard it until I hit around 8k miles. Now it's to the point where it's causing me headaches and I'm wondering if I have any recourse. If it gets to the point where I can't drive my car, I don't know what I'm going to do. The dealer has looked at it and confirmed there is nothing that can be done. Another job well done, Toyota!

14. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    me too.

it starting to drive me nuts and i now wonder if i made a good choice in buying this car.

toyota needs to investigate and fix it

15. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The only times I've heard a high pitch sound emanating from our 2010 Prius was when I was teaching our daughter to drive. It was particularly distressing when I realized that the source of the sound was me. :eek:

Perhaps you should have your dealer investigate the source of the sound.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't have a 2010, but i have never heard anything like it in my 04, 08 or camry hybrid. these are the quietest cars on the road except for road noise, i would not accept that answer from the dealer without trying to go higher up the ladder. these are the things that have kept me from trading up. too many different and various complaints about the gen III.:(

17. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take a chill pill everyone. This is NORMAL. Ive herd it on many 2010's here. It's simply the electrical "whine" from the inverter on the vehicle. All is NORMAL.

18. kmkremer

kmkremer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    +1

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As pointed out above, the noise comes from the inverter, which uses high frequencies for converting electrical currents. Some people are much more sensitive to high frequency sound, which may account for why some people hear it and others don't.

At one time I could hear the flyback frequency from TV sets, and the high pitched whine from ultrasonic cleaners and some older security systems. Age and ear abuse have taken care of that.

Tom

Reedja42 likes this.
  20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can someone describe the high pitched sound in more details? Does it sound like static?

The sound I'm hearing sounds like static.