1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High PSI on tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SWprius08, Sep 16, 2014.

1. SWprius08

SWprius08 SoCalprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All,
    I just have a question in mind that I hope some experienced people can clarify. I have read many threads where people say that they increase their tire PSI to even 50. I tried playing with this air pressure on various makes and sizes of tires to see what differences it makes at different PSI's and what I found is that by increasing the pressure it only makes the ride more and more rough. What I feel is that with high tire pressure there is a sort of beating that whole car is taking due to bumps on the road (unless the road is brand new). If I would happen to hit a pothole there would be a very loud noise as if someone hit the car. So over a period of time the parts might get loose and fall off the car, or the seats might get loose etc. My question is why is no one talking about this because I understand this will reduce the life of the car. Although only driven for 150K it would look and feel like a 300K car.

Is my concern valid or am I thinking too much?

2. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'll give you my opinion. Toyota knows their cars. I inflate my tires to their PSI recommendation on the label inside the door on the drivers side.

SWprius08 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's no question that it will reduce the life of some of the parts of the car, but not the whole car. and by 50%? i doubt it, but have no way to disprove your theory. i don't even think it increases mpg's by much. that being said, i run at 42/40.

dbcassidy and SWprius08 like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Assuming Toyota sets tire pressures as a balance between comfort and performance, I'd say nudge pressures up, but not too much. Maybe half way between the recommendation by Toyota and the max embossed on the sidewall?

I'd agree raising pressures does increase the transfer of road shock, will stress the suspension more.

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    too much pressure will cause the tires to wear in the center prematurely, but I set mine at 44 and never had a problem with anything getting loose or wearing out. suspension still in good shape and I drive kinda hard. sold the '04 w/ 203k still going strong though the traction battery may have been getting weak.

WilDavis likes this.
  6. SWprius08

SWprius08 SoCalprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup I had tested 44 as well but with the high temperatures of the valley 105+ the pressure rise up to almost 50. At this the tire would seem like rock and every small bump felt like a huge rock

7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You are absolutely correct. Increasing the pressure a few pounds is perfectly OK.

Running it up to the max. on the sidewall (or more) can and does do exactly what you described.

Truth IS perception though and some people are blind to everything but what they WANT to see.

I get tired of posting the same cautions in reply to bad ideas OVER AND OVER again.

SWprius08 likes this.