1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High speed rail, construction damage vs operating reductions of impact

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by austingreen, Jun 12, 2012.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Environmental objections in path of bullet train - latimes.com

Eleven endangered species, including the San Joaquin kit fox, would be affected, according to federal biologists. Massive emissions from diesel-powered heavy equipment could foul the already filthy air. Dozens of rivers, canals and wetlands fed from the rugged peaks of the Sierra Nevada would be crossed, creating other knotty issues.

The $68-billion bullet train would be the largest infrastructure project in the nation, projected to carry at least 20 million passengers annually with clean electrical power. If it draws motorists off the highway, it would reduce vehicle emissions. But those long-term benefits have to be weighed against heavy immediate effects.

In the Fresno Unified School District, 10,045 students — 1 out of every 7 — have been diagnosed with
    asthma
    , according to data provided by the school district. Many experts believe poor air quality acts as a trigger.

Children in the valley carry inhalers with their books and lunches. On bad air days, emergency rooms see a significant increase in residents having asthma attacks, according to district figures. Hospitalizations, lost work days and premature deaths, among other effects, cost $5.7 billion annually, a 2008 Cal State Fullerton study found.

One thing that may help is making those construction vehicles run on cng. That is part of the plan to reduce pollution in setting up fracking the shale in south texas, but south texas doesn't have nearly the environmental problems as California.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Call me 3 shades of jaded . . . but when I hear the questions about species affected by the U.S. in the unlikely event that we should we ever going to high speed rail - well ... I have to wonder if the question of "protect the lizards" isn't actually being raised by the oil industry and the auto industry (among others) . . . because it seems as though the 'anti-environment" actually has the most to loose - should high speed rail ever take off in north america. Can you imagine? High speed rail, like they have in the EU? Man ... that'd be great. The energy/btu's saved is off the scale. And ... when you consider how much smaller a foot print rail has over our 8 lane freeways? Jeez . . . talk about a no brainer. Even the reduction in maintenance over massive concrete freeway construction/maintenance is a huge savings ... not to mention the pollution reduction - as rail lines can built to be entirely electric. There I go again ... getting my hopes up. Baaahhh . . . sadly, it'll never happen. The anti-high speed rail lobby is too huge.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hill beat me to the punch (because my XP system hangs with the new software).
    ...had not heard about the CA bullet train proposal. Would think the short-term eco-concerns could be managed if there was concensus that the long term benefit is subtantial vs. pork.

The (fed subsidized) Northeast Corridor AMTRAK system is nice but very expensive. My local train station now has AMTRAK stops. I could walk 5-min and go to NYC for $150 or take Prius for $15 gasoline (tolls extra). Tolls not so bad given I would get off in North Jersey. I'd be curious to know who if anyone is using the service from my local train station. Maybe if you are frequent rail passenger you can get cheaper multi-trip tickets. But I would venture guess rail useage in Northeast is business related more as convenience than any eco benefit. Train is nice in EU.

Shortly after I wrote this, a friend I had mentioned this to, tried the train to NYC from the local stop. Apparently the $150 is round trip so ~1/2-plane fare.