1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High temp light only when I push the car hard

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by scottherock, Oct 10, 2019.

1. scottherock

scottherock New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2013 Prius, twice in the past weak interstate driving when I hit the gas really hard to pass etc, coolant sprays out, the check engine light and high temp light comes on. I see the coolant on the right tire and underneath the car near the tire. Any other time the coolant level doesnt drop and the car is fine. The second time I wasnt pushing the car quite as hard and the light only flashed on and off. The first time it stayed on a little longer and the check engine light came on but went off when I cut off the car and restarted. Is this a classic sign of anything where this happens when you push the car hard? Thanks.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First step is to figure where the coolant is spraying out from... You might need to clean your engine compartment and then recreate the situation to find it. How does the engine work otherwise? Is it pretty much barely running or still running smooth? Has MPG changed? Also what are the error codes that were logged when check engine light came on?

vvillovv likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall anything like this. it seems that high rpm is causing more pressure causing a leak around a fitting, etc.
    but with the electric water pump, i'm not sure that's how it works.

how many miles on her?

check your oil too.

mikey_t likes this.
  4. nolotank

nolotank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the Gen III have a mechanical coolant pump? If so, not hard to imagine why this is happening...

Acceleration drives up RPM. Higher RPM means faster spinning coolant pump, means higher coolant pressure. Higher coolant pressure is enough to push past a weak or failing seal and allows coolant to escape from the system. If this was my car, I would focus on identifying the exact point where the coolant is coming from and figure out what seal at that point has failed.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, see post 3

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen3 has no belts, no mechanical link from crankshaft to pumps or compressors.

7. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

This sounds like a failed head gasket. The coolant tank sits over the right front wheel. When you push the car hard, the combustion gasses over-pressurize the coolant tank. The coolant runs down the inside of the fender and to the ground. You can duplicate this by having a helper watch the coolant tank with the hood open while you sit in the car, parking brake set, foot on foot brake, car in drive, and hold accelerator to the floor. It will only take a minute or less to see if that is the issue. This action is also called a “forced charge” and does no harm to the car. And yes, I have watched gas engine RPM while doing this exact action. The RPM only raises to around 2400-2600 RPM, but it sounds like a lot more then that.

PriusCamper and Greenteapri like this.