1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

high temperature warning light on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ePRIU$, May 18, 2021.

1. ePRIU$

ePRIU$ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It happens again today after several months it first occurred while I was driving on freeway, the high temperature warning red light came on for about 1 minute or less then it disappeared. I checked the coolant level, it stays Full as usual. Is this something I need to be aware of the thermostat or water pump issue? thanks.

Dharma1212 likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles? If around 150k would be worthwhile to change water pump and thermostat.

Had it since new? Possible a stop leak product’s been used?

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    if it happened again, you should update the existing thread instead of creating a new one. Or we will throw the standard suggestions of what to troubleshoot next.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Without a scan tool it's kind of difficult even to know which of the two temperature sensors for the engine or the several for the motor/generators and electronics has the high reading, or how high the reading is.

5. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Did you fix it? Sometimes prius water pump failed internally and cause bad overheating