1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High voltage battery replacement - Would this really cause a problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by FirstFlight, Aug 27, 2012.

1. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I refurbished a battery and installed it this weekend in my 2005 Prius. There was nothing really "wrong" with my old battery, except that the SOC would increase and decrease quickly in the heat . I was still getting 52 MPG.

When I removed my battery, there seemed like an excessive amount of corrosion on the bus bars. When comparing it to the battery I refurbished, the corrosion was a lot more. At the time of the change, my car had 177K miles on it.

Anyhow, this is a picture of the corrosion I am referring to. Approximately 70% of the batteries bridged the + and - of the adjacent battery. Is this a real problem in terms of failing batteries or low MPG problems?

Attached Files:

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The + terminal of one module is connected to the - terminal of the next module in a series battery connection. If you will notice that the two terminals are connected together with a solid piece of bus bar so the + and - connections are at the same potential electrically. So the corrosion that you are seeing is not bridging the connections together since they are meant to be connected together through the common bus bar.

Does that answer your question?

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The time that corrosion like that causes a problem is when it does one of two things.

One, the corrosion gets between the nuts and the copper bus bar making a high resistance connection causing heating, melting, and in the worst case fire. This will show as poor battery performance initially.

Two, the corrosion caused by the electrolyte leaking makes a path to ground this will cause a fault code and shut down the HV system.

4. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I worded the question wrong but Britprius understood. So I guess my answer is no, this didn't have any effect on my battery performance.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty cool... I've not heard of anyone doing preventative replacement of an HV before... What inspired you? Did you come across a good deal on an HV battery or something? How much will you pay out of pocket after it's all said and done?

6. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be doing Prius battery installations in the near future and needed to use my car as a test to see how long it takes.

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a skill set that'd be fun to get really good at... I aspire to such Prius tech skill building myself...

Got any good links explaining step by step process of professional battery reconditioning/balancing?

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want more practice regarding traction battery installations, it might be interesting to remove the bus bars on the original battery and clean the corrosion. Then reinstall the bus bars, put the original battery back in, and see whether you notice any difference with regards to SOC changes.

HaroldW and PriusCamper like this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Brit was quite clear stating it has everything to do with battery performance. Not sure why you took it otherwise. In fact that was probably the reason your battery was acting the way it was. Same thing if your 12 volt battery in your car has corroded terminals. Will struggle to take a charge and will discharge much more quickly.

Your post was a little vague concerning if you had cleaned the buss bars proactively on the refurb. I would have removed all bars and nuts and cleaned them and applied anti electrolysis lube to all connections. If the nuts were even slightly corroded I would have replaced them. If not you'll be right back in there down the road.

I have used this product on all electronic connections from satellite & cable tv to the ac mains in the AC panel in my house to the 12 volt battery terminals in my car. Its is a fantastic product:

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Grease and Assembly Lube - CV-2 Grease

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This, combined with testing each cell, sounds like a good project to ensure long battery life... What kind of testing beyond checking volts can be done on each cell?

11. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He was quite clear stating that it had nothing to do with my battery performance. Read his two statements:

Underneath the nut was shiny copper and I've never had any fault codes with my battery. Neither of his statements applied to the battery I removed and therefore had nothing to do with the battery performance on my old battery. In fact, I don't really see a difference with the new battery I installed. Like I said a few posts above, there really wasn't a functional problem with the battery I removed.

12. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hobbit has a similar statement as well:

Prius battery exploration
    "While an interesting gradient of oxidation pattern has developed across the exposed faces of the straps, the backside of the nut and the copper right under it is clean and fresh."

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats only the beginning of corrosion. Eventually it will get under the nut. And has many many times. How many pictures have we seen here with complete rot out of buss bar connections?
    And it takes the exact path of failure that Brit said.

If that corrosion is not removed, and I don't care where it first appears on the buss bar...sanded away..and anti corrosion applied to all corroded area's it will just continue to rot. The corrison is accelerated by heating of the buss bars and connections coupled with battery off gasing.

All it takes is one bad connection on one module and it will throw an out of balance code.

14. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can clearly see corrosion around and on both ends around the washers and I see green flakes where the nuts meet the washers on the nuts. Very extensive corrosion. Even if not extensively corroded under the washer uniformly across it, all mating surfaces would still need to be sanded down to fresh metal and an anti corrosive applied to all surfaces or it will come back with a vengence. You asked is this a real problem with battery failure. Clearly it was fast on its way to failure. All you need is one module out of range and it will throw a code.

You do realize that Hobbitt is the one who made those statements and not me, right?

Regarding the issue at hand, I can view the block voltages and resistance values with my computer. While I haven't had the experience yet, I'd be inclined to think that if an issue was manifesting with one of the blocks, I'd see it on my computer long before it throws a code.

And yes, all connections were cleaned to the bare metal and everything was treated with protectant. That was part of the reason why I installed the battery in the first place.

15. Theodore

Theodore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi!
    I am an electronic engineer and I would like to ask something about the S/N (serial number) of the HV battery. I mean, how can I find which S/N of the HV Battery was placed by Toyota in a Prius II with a specific VIN number? I bought this Prius as used and I have the same problem with the SOC of the HV Battery in heat!
    So, I am ready to open the battery and clean the corrosion on the terminals and the bus bar, but I would like to realize if the HV battery was replaced by an older one.
    Thank you!

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HV battery replacement in a 2008 is still a very rare occurrence and SOC fluctuation in heat is not abnormal, not a problem.

I too plan on inspecting, cleaning, anti-corrosion covering my HV battery. Seems like worthy preventative maintenance.

17. Theodore

Theodore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok....but when this happens with the HV battery, the fuel consumption increases.It is 8 and 9 litres/100km.........approximately. I observe, that the electric motor does not assist correctly, in this situation. I mean, that the gasoline engine load increases...
    Also, how can I find which S/N of the HV Battery was placed by Toyota in a Prius II with a specific VIN number?

Thank you!

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not believe this is public information.

19. Theodore

Theodore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok...Is there any possibility to find it direct from Toyota, by email??

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt it since the Toyota customer contact centers are staffed by non-technical staff. However you can waste your time by contacting Toyota Europe to see what answer you get.

PriusCamper likes this.