1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Higher octane gas for fuel pinging

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kalome, Jul 19, 2012.

1. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to get some feedback on my situation.
    I experience rattle or pinging when accelerating in my 12 Prius. It usually only happens when the car has been running for a while after it is warmed up. After driving for a couple miles, Everytime I give it gas, I get the ping or knocking noise every time.
    I took it to the dealership and (of course) they didn't find anything wrong with it.

I have had the same problem many years ago with an older car and used higher octane gas to fix the problem.

Will higher octane give me less MPG?
    Is there any alternative to higher octane gas like a fuel treatment or something else I can add to fix the noise?
    Is 91 octane okay for a third generation Prius?

Thanks

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My 2002 Camry pinged on climbs since new. I drove it for 160K miles until it was totaled by an uninsured driver last month. Motor still ran smooth as silk.

I would not worry about it. The manual does state some pinging under load is normal.

3. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How long has this been happening? The reason I ask is that it could be poor quality of gas if it has been happening recently. Had this happen a few years back on my old Baja when buying gas at one of the cheap gas stations. A friend suggested getting better quality gas, and the pinging was gone!

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's odd. My G2 started pinging this year (filling with 93 octane at half-tank seems to have "fixed" it) but it has 91,000 miles on it and it never pinged before. I'm assuming that mine is partially due to carbon buildup, and exacerbated by hot weather. A 2012 shouldn't have had time for that to happen.

If anything my FE us up a couple MPG since the partial fill with 93. Higher octane shouldn't hurt anything mechanically. Pinging, on the other hand, isn't great for an engine. Uncontrolled combustion drives up cylinder temperatures and puts increased loads on just about everything. It shouldn't immediately grenade an engine, either, but I wouldn't just ignore it.

5. Reedja42

Reedja42 2012 Prius, Gen III, Barcelona Red, (FRED)

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I hear the same thing in my 2012. I thought it was pinging at first too, but now I don’t think it is. I tried some higher octane fuel, and it made no difference. I noticed that it only happens in a narrow band of RPMs, in the middle of the PWR bar on the display. Pinging will normally get worse with load; this sound will go away if you increase throttle or decrease throttle when you hear it. This is not how pinging behaves. I think this is a natural sound from the lifters and valves that hits a resonant frequency in the engine compartment at a certain number of RPMs and travels into the cabin, but only at that frequency. If the frequency goes up or down it is no longer resonant and therefor it disappears. Also higher octane fuel is not recommended for the Prius as it is not a high compression engine.

6. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my Prius in the end of March. I just noticed it around June, maybe end of May. Maybe it has something to do with the hotter temperatures here in AZ.

I get gas at the same gas station for years, including when I had my 11 Prius. I never had this problem with my 11 and I got it last June.
    The gas is Circle K which I think is either Union 76 or Shell gas.
    Last time I filled up I went to Chevron and see if I noticed a difference. I already went through a full tank of Chevron and the noise never ceased.

7. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2011 Prius never did this at all.
    It is more of an annoyance than really worrying about anything wrong with the car.
    One of the many things I like about the Prius is the quietness of the car and that is ruined by the rattling noise every time I accelerate.

8. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I took it down to Toyota. They test drove it and couldn't hear it. At that time it was hit or miss. I would hear it half the time, but lately it is happening a lot more.
    The mechanic at Toyota also told me it didn't come up with any error codes and to not worry about it, it is under warranty.

9. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting....I wonder if this is isolated to just the 2012 because like I said in my previous posts, my 2011 I had for almost a year including a full Arizona summer and I didn't hear any rattling noise..not once.

Btw - Thanks everyone for the responses.

10. Reedja42

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The other thing to remember is that the Prius has a "ping" detector that is supposed to adjust the engine to stop pre-detonation if it is detected.

11. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A knock sensor to retard the timing as needed. If the knock sensor is bad or disconnected, a code would be stored and the CEL would come on. Running an engine as advanced as possible improves efficiency, and also increases the possibility of light pinging under load.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There should be no problem with 91 high octane gasoline in the Prius, could help not hurt MPG.
    The question is should you use it, from a cost perspective? I would try a tankfull to see if it solves the problem. If it does, that tells you something. I am sure you can buy a can of gaso additive with octance boost + detergents. Not sure what elevation you have there, mountain regions may have different fuels. If you see a benefit of higher octane then we can discuss what may be happening (possibly low M+0 octane in your region).

13. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking about doing that anyway. I won't be getting gas for a while, maybe 10 more days. I'll reply to this post if it works. Where I live the elevation is 1248 feet.

14. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might have a bad tank of gas; some water in it. You might try Berryman B-12 CHEMTOOL!! It's good for removing moisture, and it also cleans valves, injectors, ect.

15. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Its been a couple months now so it has been 5 to 6 tanks. I'll look into the B-12 CHEMTOOL, thanks.

16. Reedja42

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most octane boosters use ethanol to boost the octane, there is most likely more than enough of that crap in your gas as it is, I wouldn’t use it. If you think you might need some detergent in your tank try some Techron additive. While a tank or two of the higher octane gas won’t hurt as a test to see if your pinging noise changes, I wouldn’t use it unless you get an OK from a mechanic who knows the Prius. The Prius engine is designed to run on 87 octane fuel; 85 octane if you are at higher elevations. As I recall the manual doesn’t recommend using higher octane gas. The computer will just try and adjust for any changes in octane anyway. Higher octane fuel should only help when run in older high compression engines. By the way, higher octane gas doesn't mean its better, all it means is that it is less likely to combust early when highly compressed. The Prius engine doesn't use anywhere near the compression levels of older high performance engines, thus you don't need it. Also if you search PC you will find some folks who feel using higher octane gas has actually hurt their Prius engines. I don't knowif this is true, but if it is, it could void your warranty, as the manual says not to use it. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OP should of course look in his Gen-3 Prius op manual for any octane limits.
    My gen-2 manual says 87 minimum octane (R+M/2)
    I'm sure I've accidentally used Premium more than once.
    If Premium hurt the car we'd be in trouble for accidental .

WE0H likes this.
  18. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't double check now but i believe when I looked a while back it said to use 87. I can't remember if it said "minimum" though.

19. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FWIW I used 89 octane in my 2nd gen for the same reason.

PC36100 ? 2

WE0H likes this.
  20. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Things might have changed, but in the past, when a place like Circle K would purchase it's gas from Union 76, Shell or Cheveron, they would be purchasing the gas without the additives. I have no idea how that otherwise affects the quality of the gas (which I think shouldn't).

Mike