1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Higher than normal EV miles after charging

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Potorap, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Ok,

My wife and I have 2013 PIP (His and Hers) and we compete for highest EV miles. Her car has had consistently recharged with 14- 15 estimated EV miles. This morning she called me and said as she left the garage she noticed that EV miles were 18.4. I thought wow wish mine did that. We just finished charging hers again and I went out to verify and I was blown away when I saw 20.9 EV miles. This can't be correct, anyone have an idea of what could be happening? I would love to figure this out so all pip owners can get this kind of mileage. Thanks in Advance.

Miragegrl2036 and Michael999 like this.
  2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)With one years experience, I'm averaging 10 miles on a charge. My work commute is 80% highway. With the same charge, I get increased EV range on a more rural drive. I like my Prius, and any EV driving is a plus. With two plug-ins, different routes, different drivers, there will be different results. Eighteen to twenty miles EV available on a charge? What is the distance of her commute in miles? Does she actually achieve 12-15 miles ALL EV?

3. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Distance is much less important than route and speed. Any thing that sucks power -- hills, lots of stops, high speeds, accelerating close to the upper EV limit -- will use power faster and cause the car to estimate fewer miles. If you switch cars, you'll find they swap estimates.

With my former standard Prius, I once shadowed a co-worker with a very different, longer commute, who regularly got 10 MPG or more above mine. With careful driving (slow starts, moderate speeds) on MY route, we were both able to achieve the same high mileage.

4. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Next time you come back from Vegas save your EV until your a few miles from Mountain Springs. You need to use some before the downhill so you don't have the hilltop overfull battery ice start problem. Then EV with no heat below 60 mph all the way home. I think there is just one little hill about half way. Approx. 40 miles?
    (18mph would be best but you might get shot if you tried that on that hwy)

Had a senior friend (passed on) who lived next to KNYE. Ate a few times at Irene's.

5. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi Don,
    Thanks for the response. My wife and I have very similar distance and routes. We have mixed it up attempting to get find best route for the most EV miles. We both drive about 60 miles each way to work, 50/10 highway/city. We do have a major hill to climb but by the time we get to it we have already depleted our EV miles. I too am averaging about 10 miles EV, my wife about the same. Spoke to her this morning and she says she went about 12 miles. We do our best to make slow starts and driving 60 or under on highway. We will keep monitoring and update. Thx.

Miragegrl2036 likes this.
  6. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi James,

I will try that today on the way home, about 34 miles from mountain top. Nice to talk to you, when are you coming back to this side of the country? What do you drive now?

7. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Don,
    My wife got 25 miles on the trip yesterday on the 20.9 charge, understanding there is some downhill regeneration happening. We are very happy with this. This morning my wife's car showed 22.2 est. EV miles. Incredible !!!!!!!

James,

Took your advise on saving EV miles for the other side of the mountain and I am very impressed with the results.
    Full charge at work (13.9 miles) on 120 circuit, after regeneration on the downhill I got 27 miles of distance, almost half the trip on electric. Goooooooo Prius Plug In.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you mix ev and hv, all kind of goofy things happen.:)

9. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Bisco,

This is for sure. When I use EV only I can squeak out about 10 miles until all electric is depleted. But when we blend the 2 anything is possible, goofy is an understatement.

10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My first thought in reading this was that there is not a good outcome from this.

I'd try swapping cars and see if she can increase your range.

Mike

11. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I just got to work and I got 28 EV miles from a 17 mile charge, 60 mile trip and 83 mpg upon shutting down car. She ended up with 79 mpg today.

12. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You are going to have some crazy EV MPGe numbers. Would be interested to see what your HV alone numbers look like.

13. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Please remember that the "EV Range" indication is just an ESTIMATE. A guess. Its based on recent history to be sure, but nonetheless it's still only a guess. Toyota had to give buyers / drivers something that indicates available stored electricity but the "EV miles" display label is remarkably (overly) stolid in its communicative appearance, whereas actual EV reality is elastic.

On the other hand, perhaps an "EV battery capacity remaining" display label would be more chemically precise, but then would an average human being be able to cognitively translate it on-the-fly into meaningful information? in a new-to-market car that has to sell well enough in its 1st model year? People think of these displays as "miles to empty" which is a negligibly variable factor in a gasoline tank measurement and a grossly variable factor in a traction battery capacity measurement.

It's a fascinating problem in informatics design. Should EV range be depicted in a time-to-empty ratio? in a "miles remaining" number? perhaps it should be best depicted not on a dash display as today but as a shrinking or expanding tinted circle on the NAV display. Drive faster, the tinted circle shrinks; drive slower, the tinted circle expands...

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it works fine for me, just the way it is. but perhaps that's because of my 65% ev ratio.

15. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi Mark,

Just got home from work, 17 mile charge, ended with 30 EV miles on 60 mile drive. My wife's car charged to 22.2 miles tonight. Find out tomorrow how many miles she gets. I am totally excited about these cars.

James,

Thanks for the great advice, I think you are on to something. Thanks to all for the great advice and comments. I truly appreciate all of you as we are learning to drive the PIP's.

16. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly!
    There is no free meal;)

17. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Route Details: Pahrump Nevada, elevation ~2600ft (793m) located on Hwy NV-160.

Valley stretch is an almost straight 4 lane Hwy rising to the south at a constant slope to an elevation of ~3800ft (1160m) over a distance of 23 miles (37km) to arbitrary point where Hwy turns east. Southeast bound up the grade I didn't even try to pulse and glide (P&G) the ICE rental car, just set the cruise control. Northwest bound down the grade however is an excellent P&G opportunity. 100+ mpg possible everyday?! with a PiP or even a HB?

Mountain stretch is a definite hill climb southeast bound (due east) rising from 3800ft (1160m) to 5500ft (1675m) in 9 miles (14.5km) with the top 3 miles (5km) at 7% grade. Northwest bound and down I remember being in 3rd gear and fuel cutoff (FCO) for the steep section and some long FCO glides in D for the rest (ICE rental). I have 2 pictures, looking west from base of mountain and the Welcome to Pahrump sign but I'm getting upload errors. Maybe add later.

Well that's the Pahrump side and it definitely lends itself to some high mpg and mpge numbers headed to Pahrump. Maybe you could P&G the uphill valley section to some effect but for how much effort?

NV-160 E to NV-160 E/Pahrump Valley Rd - Google Maps

18. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    James,

As I am reading your details I can picture the drive in my head. That is a perfect description. I used to drive a 09 Yaris and I would set cruise to 65 and go.i got about 36-40 mpg as I would coast in neutral. When we got our PIP I was happy with the additional EV miles but this technique that you taught me has taken the hyper miler to another level.
    Last night I had 12.1 EV miles at the top of the mountain (5500 ft). I had regenerated to as much as 14.7, and I made it home on almost all EV miles as I had to use ICE for about 3 minutes to climb the hill that leads into Pahrump. I had .08 left upon arrival.

Uh oh my wife just joined PriusChat. ITS ON NOW!!!!!!!

Miragegrl2036 and Chazz8 like this.
  19. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Potorap,

I see related posts that you have a scangauge. As you coming through a mountain pass with your ICE fully up to temperature and then EVing quite a distance, perhaps you could collect some data on the drop in coolant temperature on your way down the hill. The Effect of Highway Speed Air Cooling on Engine Coolant Temperature for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles Operated in Electric Only Mode. This would go with the discussion on the effectiveness of Grill Blocking. A set of data with ambient temperature, miles traveled, and mph from the cars display and the coolant temperature from the Scangauge would fill in a void in real world data related to this efficiency technique. If it's convenient for you to do so.

What tire pressures are you running?

How many miles of urban city stop and go low speed (<35mph) driving are you doing near your workplace? It might be more efficient overall to use some EV in town in exchange for a little added HV on Hwy 160 as you're having to use some there because of the distance.

20. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

James,

I have not tried the scan gauge yet. I am running 40 psi in mine and recommended pressures in my wife's. In town driving is about 6-8 miles. I did burn off charge before saving EV miles for the other side of the mountain. When I stay in town on days off I will run errands on EV only, come home and charge up and head back out if needed.

Would you explain the concept for grille blocking ? Have not thought about it, what is the benefit? Thanks