1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Highlander Hybrid outlets not working-tech help

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by efusco, Jul 25, 2011.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both of the 12v "cigarette lighter" outlets in the front center of my wife's 2006 Highlander Hybrid have gone out. First one, then about 2-3 weeks later the other.

I figured it was a bad fuse and spent some time going through every possible likely fuse in the 3 fuse boxes, but could not find one that was burned out. No other electronics are out in that center column (ie, the radio and everything work fine).

It's odd/interesting that it was first one then the other outlet. We did use a 'splitter' to be able to plug two items in at once first in the first one that quit working, then the other--but we'd used it for years without issue.

Anyone have any thoughts, experience, ideas on how to fix this without a trip to the service dept? My wife hates not being able to listen to her XM or charge her phone.

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless during the pluging/unpluging process of a toy there was an accidental short that blew the fuse. I have seen some pretty crappy DC plug socket combinations.
    Why not call the dealer and ask them?
    Good Luck!

3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Measure the contacts directly for volts if you have an multimeter. If you can get voltage there then the problem is with whatever you are plugging in. If no voltage then it might be the wires on the back of the plugs. They may have become work hardened. Might have to pull the plugs out and resolder or reconnect the wires to the plugs. Corrosion can cause that also.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do have a multi meter and will give that a try, but we've tried multiple different items in both outlets (2-3 different phone chargers known to be good and the XM power cord) and none work, so I'm pretty sure the outlet isn't getting power.

Good thought on the wires in the back...maybe I'll try pulling them out--seems weird that both plugs are out within weeks of each other though. Maybe there's a fuse I missed, but I looked pretty hard.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was finally able to take the HiHy in for service. And despite my best efforts to check the fuses, I apparently missed some as they found 2 that were bad and replaced them with resultant proper operation of the outlets. While the car needed some recall work (the floor mat clip) and a 90K mile service, I'm still annoyed at my own ineptitude in not finding and fixing the dang fuses myself.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  6. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was a lot easier when cars had only one fuse box under the hood. Now you have to read a whole chapter in the manual to find where to look for the extra fuse boxes, contort yourself to get under the dash or glove compartment or wherever, pry off the impossible cover and then pray you can read the labels if your eyesight is like mine.

Meg&Bear likes this.