1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Highway Driving Technique

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by flo00001, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flo00001

flo00001 Silent Miser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This has probably been discussed earlier but, i would like a little feedback on my driving style on the highways in Hilly Berkshire County in Western Massachusetts (it could also apply elsewhere). Please let me know if you've found a better way to drive. Anyways, my Highway technique is as follows:

I never go below 50 mph on the highway. That is my cut-off speed. No real reason for this speed over 45 mph (that is a universal minimum on the highway). Then, keeping the same pedal pressure (theory is to keep engine RPM more or less constant) as I did to hold 50 up the incline, I accelerate to 57 MPH. Then, once reaching that, I let off the pedal until it gets to 99.9, then let it coast to higher speeds. If I can't coast any faster, then i'll keep it at 57 MPH.

Using this strategy, I average 62 MPG on the highway. I'm (obviously) always looking to improve the number so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.