1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Highway Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bnaccs, Oct 28, 2012.

1. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just got back from a 2,000 mile trip to Austin. We drove through down pours, strong head winds, heat, and snow. The Prius was loaded down and still averaged 45 miles per gallon at speeds ranging from 60-78mph. The car did great! My question is about the hybrid battery. Is highway driving hard on it, or is highway driving like any other car and easier on the Prius? My Prius sees a lot of highway cruising.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When you are cruising, so is the HV battery. The computers are pampering it, and demand is low as the engine is always on above the low 40s.

3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You could argue that highway driving is actually the best for the hybrid battery since it is never getting quickly drained or recharged and it is always at the perfect charge level to ensure battery life.

4. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I drive 90% highway and have logged 2600 miles in my Prius since I got it 3 weeks ago. My average is 51.3mpg but its usually just me and a weeks worth of clothes in the car.

I do notice a significant difference on weekends when we all pile into the car.