1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

highway mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jayeliot, Jul 22, 2005.

1. reefrats

reefrats New Member

That would be awesome! Right now my Honda Passport is getting 18-20 depending on whether I am over or under 80 mph. Today I left for work late and hit a lot more traffic. The whole time I thought about how great my Prius will do when I get it in a few weeks! At this point, I'll be happy with anything over 36, though my criteria is that I want to only get gas once per week... so 500 miles to a tank going 80 mph for the majority of the trip... we'll see!!!

2. vkykam

vkykam New Member

4.7L/100km is 50MPG to the Americans. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sleeka @ Jul 28 2005, 10:46 AM) [snapback]111026[/snapback]</div>

3. Boucher187

Boucher187 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayeliot @ Jul 22 2005, 09:05 PM) [snapback]109460[/snapback]</div>
    I have a commute that is similar. 44 miles (all highway) – I average 46-50 on that trip with the cruise on.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Over TWO Prius (2004 traded for my 2007), I have consistently experienced 49-55 MPG cruising Texas freeways at 65-75 MPH, using Cruise Control. From your commute, I would expect to stay above 50 MPG.

I would expect the MPG to gradually increase from new for the first ~6,000 miles on the clock. Takes awhile for a new Prius to loosen up.

5. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

All I really know about highway driving is this. If you wanna go fast, just stay behind a speeding semi. At the last you'll pull some increased FE for going that fast. To get the best FE though, you'll want to go at or a little below speed limit and draft behind that slow moving semi that everyone else just passes by.

Sadly around here in Atlanta EVERYONE speeds. You might be lucky to find one or 2 the whole trip that don't. Usually if I have to go highway, which I try to avoid at all costs around here if time permits, I'll just stay right behind that speeding semi. If I happen to spot a slower moving semi I'll take that one, but I usually don't. I figure that if I get about the same FE going 70-75 drafting behind a semi as I do going 60-65 by myself that I'm gonna take the faster speed. Same FE and a I get there quicker, it's a semi-win win.

Under certain conditions I've actually increased my FE by drafting behind some of those slow moving semis. With all the hills around here though it's actually hard to keep up with the semi going uphill. Well, not hard so much as I'm not sure if it's worth getting out of the sweet spot RPM wise just to keep up.

Anyways, my $.02.

6. Boucher187

Boucher187 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayeliot @ Jul 22 2005, 09:05 PM) [snapback]109460[/snapback]</div>
    I have 44 miles each way (88 total miles) 90 percent is HIGHWAY up and down hills. I commute with 2 other people so that makes for 3 people total in the car. I go 65-75 MPH on the trip wit the cruise on and then when down long rolling hills I punch it to get allot of speed to help with the next hill. That helps my overall MPG.

I average 48 when below 40 degrees. Last week was warmer and I averaged 52 MPG.

Hope that helps.

7. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sleeka @ Jul 28 2005, 06:46 AM) [snapback]111026[/snapback]</div>
    I don't want to depress you in Aussie land, that's 60 mpg for an imperial gallon. For a USA gallon, that would work out to be 50.0 MPG. That's still very good - but not out of this world.