1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Highway vs City and battery life

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by StephenJ, Aug 24, 2017.

1. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    hey guys, as I'm looking for a Prius I've been looking for as low as miles as possible. After doing some reading it seems that there is some relationship between highway miles vs city miles and how they impact the battery. Are city miles harder on the battery than highway miles? So in theory if a 09 has 75k miles that are mostly city miles would that potentially be harder on the battery than 130k miles that's mostly from a long highway commute?

As long as oil is changes regularly I'm not too worried about engine life....I'm more interested in battery life and doing my best at evaluating battery condition.

Thanks for any info you guys can share!
    Stephen

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall this ever coming up, or anyone analyzing it. what i have seen is taxi's getting 4 and 500,000 miles out of gen 2 batteries in cooler climates, which i would assume is mostly city.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "City" miles is harder to judge.

If it was driven normally (whether has a delivery or a personal vehicle) in the city, it will hold up fine. The issue arises if they're constantly draining the battery (e.g. some taxi drivers will leave the car idling - in a Prius, the engine stays off until the battery is down to 2 bars, then it will intermittently come on to top it up to 3 bars and the cycle repeats until the driver turns off the car or they take a fare and drive off). The same for anyone who sits in traffic and lets the battery drain (e.g. hot climate with the A/C constantly running).

Same for highway. A normal highway jaunt should be fine. If it was constantly going up and down hills/mountains such that the battery keeps getting topped up to 8 bars, then it may reduce battery life.

But you said "long highway commute" so assuming the normal city life vs. highway, I think the highway is better. Nothing wrong with the city one but there are more variables. (If it's a local car, then you can better evaluate it since you know what the traffic is like in your area).

If you're really concerned, you can always purchase one of these

Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid. – Hybrid Automotive

I forget his member name but the seller is on PriusChat.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Bisco!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So Tideland Prius....the battery getting topped off a lot is bad and reduces battery life? So in situations where the battery runs down such as hills or sitting then it being charged back up its bad for it?

What is the optimum cycle of a battery? Do just stay mostly charged all the time?

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree with that summation, but probably what Tideland was trying to say was that of the two behaviors, the frequent running low and charging back up full, such as you would get constantly driving mountainous terrain, would be worse than consistently driving on flat land. Further, comparing highway vs city, highway would be preferable.

My opinion is that (excluding constant mountainous terrain) nothing mentioned will make that much of a difference. It just is not worth that much cerebral energy. There car is made to drive and you don't need to try and second guess how to make it work better. For the most part, it just works and it works well.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Sounds good, I won't worry about considering that aspect of the cars then

fotomoto likes this.
  9. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I learned a lot from reading this forum before purchasing a used Prius. I learned that finding and older Prius with very low miles isn't necessarily a good thing- as it pertains to the battery. Especially if the low miles was a result of long periods of the car sitting around.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota set the parameters such that the battery charge management keeps it at around 60% true SOC (that's represented by 6 bars in the MFD). The range of these the NiMH batteries is 40%-80% (0 bars to 8 bars in the MFD) Toyota has a buffer of 20% at the top for normal driving in case there's a lot of stop & going and you're braking a lot or there's a hill and the battery can take some of that braking work.

What I'm saying is that for someone like me who drives across the Rockies, (where there are lots of long downhill stretches), there's the possibility I shortened my battery life by constantly going between 60% and 80%. Now given that I'm driving on the highway in the mountains, that 80% comes back down to 60% pretty quickly in the next uphill as the hybrid system uses more battery propulsion to bring it back to 60%.

So it will stay at 60% as much as it can for longevity. Now you don't have to worry too much about it during normal operation. Don't fret about the changing battery SOC (unless it's changing rapidly under normal driving... then you may have bad battery).

That's one thing.

The other thing I mentioned (separate from the mountainous driving) is the constant idling or heavy use of A/C such that the battery is constantly near 45% (2 bars) but again it's rare unless the vehicle was a taxi or the last owner had a really bad commute through rush hour traffic in a hot environment.

Here's the range

SOCpercentages.JPG

^^ What he said

srellim234 likes this.