1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hijacked Bus Chase : and Prius :(

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Pooka, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Pooka

Pooka TIFOSO

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Kansas City, Kansas Police Chase Hijacked City Bus - WDAF

ATA Bus Stolen, Catches Fire After Chase Through Kansas City, Kan. - Kansas City News Story - KCTV Kansas City

Police Chase Stolen Bus Through Metro - Kansas City News Story - KMBC Kansas City

merging on I-70 eastbound from I-635, I saw on far left lane (still behind me); a bus with 8-9 cop cars behind it .. didnt think too much of it then. Then i passed 18th street exit and saw more cops waiting at the ramp with sirens blaring and guns, I figured something is up; and by this time the bus had gotten close to me ... and I could hear all the sirens now ... thought the smartest thing I could do was to take the 1st exit and get out of the way ...

wrong! so i-70 bifurcates into i-670 and I-70 at 7th street exit (6 wide open lanes mind you) - so I take it - once i took the exit, i thought I was safe and even thought i will read about it in the paper tomorrow on what was going on ... guess what!! the deranged guy takes the same exit behind me ... then I see the cops waiting at the end of exit ready to throw the stop-sticks ... so i go in the safety/ pull-over lane and the moron trying to avoid the stop-sticks does the same ... and hits the prius smack in the rearend and pushes it 5-6 feet barely missing the officer throwing the stopsticks ...

once i realized what happened - its hard to miss a huge ATA bus pushing you - it fills the whole rear view mirror and teenie rear windows of the prius ... i floored the prius (yes, I did floor the prius :) ... and scooted in front (hey atleast the prius can outrun a city bus or maybe he gave me a boost .. who knows .. it is still a blur) ... missed another cop car waiting ahead ... and went straight on 7th st trfway while he driver who apparently thought he could outrun everyone went on 7th behind me and then jumped the ramp to go back on I-70 westbound ... by this time there were 12 or so cars following him ...

one kind officer stopped to assist me .. i was nauseous / dizzy and couldnt walk when i got out of the car ... the officer called the ambulance ... my blood pressure was 180 ... anyhoo, i take back all the bad stuff esp. being "plasticky" about the prius ... it protected me and besides the damage to rear bumper it is untouched ... I will update once the shop has had a chance to inspect the prius ...

scary experience - did get to sit in the front of the squad car - for a geek pretty neat stuff happening there ... KCK is treating it as aggravated battery instead of accident - so they brought out the detectives / CSI unit (they actually call it CSI - :) - 3 taped interviews / multiple picture shots ... pretty awesome experience (in retrospect)!

will post pics later - compared to the pickup and grandam it hit - prius was just scratched ... anyhoo /end story !

I hope I dont wakeup at night with visions of a bus chasing/ pushing me!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

p.s. wrote this for the KC BMW Club - just did c&p !

2. pankajahire

pankajahire New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lordy lord! Forget the Prius... I am glad to hear you're ok!

Crazy people out there!!
    But I am also glad to hear this first-hand testimony about the Prius. I am getting one now.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Crazy people are everywhere.

4. PriusG3IV

PriusG3IV New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    wow - glad to hear that you are OK.

The Prius can be repaired and/or replaced....you are irreplaceable.

5. 2to4

2to4 Wherever we end up

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow! You are fortunate not to have been injured or killed. I hope the man who did this is kept off of the streets for the rest of his life.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    He is already using public transportation. That's a good start. :rolleyes:

Tom