1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hit 80,000 miles. Now what?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by chadwickt27, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. chadwickt27

chadwickt27 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just crossed 80,000 in the Prius. I'm an ameture DIY guy (oil, brakes, etc.). I've got some credits with O'rileys. Any suggestions on how to spend this credit before it expires? Anything I should anticipate now that I've reached 80K that I could replace or would be smart to do some maintenance on now while I can do it at a discount?

Preeeus likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing. the usual suspects, oil and filter, rotate tyres, inspect and lube brakes, check fluid levels. air filters coming at 90k, first major service at 120k. have you changed the tranny fluid?

chadwickt27 likes this.
  3. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you done the thorough brake inspection? Take the calipers off, inspect the brake pads, lube the pins? You would want the silicone grease for the caliper pins and I like to put silver antiseize on the points where the brake pads contact the calipers and the bracket and between the two shims.

chadwickt27 likes this.
  4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    id get a 12v battery

RRxing, Montgomery and chadwickt27 like this.
  5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Go through the videos in the first post in this thread:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Do them all, one at a time, between now and 100,000 miles. I have. Here's the list:

Cabin air filter replacement
    Engine air filter replacement
    Tire rotation
    Oil change & maintenance light reset
    Transmission drain and refill
    Engine coolant drain and refill
    Inverter coolant drain and refill
    Spark plugs replacement (HD)
    Throttle body cleaning
    PCV valve replacement
    EGR pipe cleaning
    Brake flush
    Front caliper sliding pins - lubing
    Rear brakes sliding pins cleaning
    Cleaning the HV battery fan

Don't freak out over the list: Do this stuff over the course of the next 12 to 18 months. Here are my observations, having done this:

1) Use only the Toyota brand fluids for the transmission oil and coolant
    2) For the tranny oil change, you need to jack the car, but have it level. One way is to tape a bubble level to your car door before you raise it, so you'll know if your front and rear are reasonably level (doesn't need to be perfect).
    3) When you re-install rear brake pads on a Prius, the backing plate of the inboard brake pads have a post that sticks out. This post needs to fit inside a notch that's cut into the brake piston. If you haven't touched the brake piston, it should be fine. We can get you a photo or drawing if this explanation doesn't make sense.
    4) Spark plug change is ridiculous effort just for plugs, but not difficult. You have to remove the entire windshield cowling and wiper motor assembly to access the plugs. But you also get to clean out your cabin's fresh air intake, which is a big plus.
    5) PCV Valve replacement is the worst of the tasks, but it doesn't take long.

Nowadays, there are several of us who believe that the next step in maintenance is to remove the EGR and EGR cooler, and thoroughly clean them. Then remove the intake manifold, and clean in. Lastly, install an oil catch can between the PCV valve and intake manifold.

We try to have regular maintenance meet-ups here in the San Francisco Bay Area, and we do this stuff together in someone's well-stocked garage. Maybe you can do these where you live as well. Having experienced help makes a huge difference.

Raytheeagle and chadwickt27 like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    80K miles? Unfortunately the first thing that pops into my mind is the $#@!* EGR system clogging. Might still be early, or not. You can start by checking the connector pipe, @NutzAboutBolts has a video pinned in the maintenance sub-forum. Read up, lots of info.

There is a US warranty extension, ditto now in Canada. May or may not be useful, depending on what they intend to do, how thorough they are.

7. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd get a Battery Minder charger/desulfinator first.

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    By the way... it looks like a lot of work I posted, but I want to reiterate that those items are needed mostly at 100,000 and 120,000 miles. So you have plenty of time to do them. Besides the obvious engine oil changes, I'd do the tranny change and brake pin lubrication first. The engine air filter should have been changed at 60,000 miles, if you haven't already change that and the cabin filter (really easy, tool-less jobs)

chadwickt27 and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You ever get your oil filter cap off, or the wrench separate from the housing?

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nope. I ordered the replacement parts to install a standard oil filter in place of the cartridge thing.

Montgomery and mjoo like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Standard oil filter requires the same socket, if I'm not mistaken. Well at least you can use extremes measure on it, if require, since it's disposable.

12. chadwickt27

chadwickt27 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What's the benefit to that as opposed to the stock cartridge style?

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately, my oil filter is really, really stuck. So I'm going to pull off the filter housing from the engine, and I may as well replace it with a housing that holds a standard oil filter. That's all. It's not related to vehicle maintenance.

chadwickt27 likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can't recall the story: but was it the dealership that put it on last? How about get one more oil change through them, and explain the situation, ask them to ensure it's torqued to spec. during reinstall, maybe see if you can be present? Then just carry on doing DIY, ensure you've got a snug fitting good quality socket.

15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I already ordered the part and I'll get under the car and figure out if I can easily access it. If so, I'll install it and then I won't deal with that plastic demon anymore.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Arttillygirl

Arttillygirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sold my 2014 to my daughter. Looks like the 80k scheduled maintenance is going to cost $350. Any way around this for the non handy? Also where in DFW can we get the EGR cleaned?

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like they're padding the schedule?

Ask them to do the Toyota spec'd maintenance (basically an oil change and tire rotation), that should be $50~100 USD tops, and if you have solar option check condition of filter yourself.

upload_2023-7-17_10-10-25.png