1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hit by a big rig today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, Mar 13, 2007.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was just before the bridge on the San Pedro side. I hope it's not too long either- the sad thing is that in LA there are sooo many Prii on the road that it makes me sad to see them all...and I wanna wave but no one would notice. I really am spoiled by that car! I hate having to actually hold my cell phone :lol:

2. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I feel your pain. Just a few months after I bought my new Prius, some uninsured, unlicensed jerk tried to pass me over double yellow lines on the left while I was making a left hand turn. It destroyed nearly the entire driver's side of my Prius. My insurance had to pay and gave up on collecting from the deadbeat. I was without mine for about 5 months! I was without it all during the gas price spike post Katrina. 13 thousand dollars was what it cost to fix it. I was furious. I wish they would have totalled it so I could have gotten a new one. I can't say my car was ever quite the same after that. They had torn out my entire dash and I hear funny noises coming from in there all the time. My vents fart now :unsure: when the auto air kicks on and off. I was getting a wierd beeping noise a couple months back, but it stopped. I guess it's a good excuse to go buy a new one, but I'm waiting for the next generation with some significant changes before I make that move. This all doesn't sound like good news does it? The good news is your OK! Be prepared, being without your Prius is gonna hurt.

3. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That has been my fear that I will get it back and it wont be the same... I would be pissed if I was without it for 5 months! What insurance company was that? I would have been tempted to just let it get repo'd at that point!
    I think that the appraiser is going out tomorrow to look at it- i will keep this updated as the issues continues. Yesterday the insurance lady said that it sounds like it will be deemed my fault since I merged into his lane. I guess it partially makes sense, but honestly if traffic HAS to merge, I think he should have been paying attention... he said he didn't see me, so how is that my fault? I wasn't being wreckless at all..

4. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Insurance company was Safeco. For the most part Safeco has been pretty good to me. When it came to the delays in repair; the insurance company blamed the Toyota dealer "service center" on dragging their feet in making the repairs, and the service center blamed safeco for taking time for approving supplemental damage quotes. Personally, I think it was a combination of both the insurance company and the service center which caused the delay. All the work inside the dash had to be done by the Prius Tech who seemed to either be out sick, or on vacation whenever I called. It's not something I want to go through again. I hope your luck is better with a speedy repair. If there is no damage to the engine compartment or dash, I think your repairs might go a little faster. Mine had to be juggled between the body shop and the mechanical service center because there was damage to both.

5. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The appraiser went out, they estimate $4000 for the repairs. I think that is really low, but we'll see what they find when they pull it apart!

I really need to make sure that they put that PRIUS decal back on the rear bumper- they can easily overlook that.

Also, I guess I need to re-order my "Prius Gas-Electric Hybrid" decals from the chat shop.

6. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasidetraveler @ Mar 15 2007, 11:10 PM) [snapback]406557[/snapback]</div>
    Mine started out at around $7000.00 and ended up around $13,000.00. Expect supplemental estimates when they start taking it apart. This can and will cause delays.

7. lynjolie

lynjolie New Member

Sorry to hear that, I too was rear-ended on Feb 6 and it took 5 weeks to fix my car. My total damages came out to be $5300 but thankfully the other woman accepted liability.

Attached Files:

8. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I want my Prius back!!! Could be 3-4 more weeks - at least at this point.

Anyone watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm" on HBO? It's pretty funny and you get to see the main character drive around in his Prius hehe

9. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

Sorry about the accident. Thank goodness you weren't hurt. Those rigs are dangerous.

10. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick update!

I called the body shop today and they said my Prius is supposed to go into the paint booth Friday and I could have it back next week! YEEY!

I reminded them to make sure that my PRIUS applique on the rear bumper gets put on, and they said it wasn't in the estimate, so he'll see what needs to be done.

11. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GREAT NEWS!

I just got my Prius back today! WOOHOO It feels like it's been forever!

So far it seems like they did a wonderful job, drives well and is so nice to have back- I am a Prius freak again- yeey! Now I am so afraid something will hit me in it!

Happy to be back!

12. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congratulations, Seaside! That was a long time without your car! Did you get all the details, like the bumper appliqué?

13. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the bumper applique, but I will need to re-order the HYBRID GAS/ELECTRIC ones from chat shop.

14. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Mar 14 2007, 06:52 AM) [snapback]405304[/snapback]</div>
    OUCH! I try not to linger anywhere near a big rig. Plus if you are behind them they throw rocks. Truck drivers used to be professional, careful, caring drivers. I'm convinced that changed at some time. I think in the last 3 weeks there have been 3 big rig accidents on the interstates in ABQ, closing them. Last one was a big rig that plowed into 3 large trucks including the cherry picker in the front changing the bulbs in those really tall interstate lights along the shoulder. They were following all safety procedures, and had a highway emergency vehicle and another service vehicle behind the cherry picker. The semi plowed into the rear truck at 65mph, pushing all of them into each other, the semi went to the side and overturned. The guy in the cherry picker was injured badly but survived because he had his restraint tether on. Seems like it's happening every week here.

15. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was so nice driving to work in my Prius today!

Quick survey for you folks- I had previously installed the white Hybrid Gas/Electric decals from the chat shop here and in the removal of my doors and bumper the body had to remove them. Should I order them again? I liked having them but I am kinda liking the sleek black look too.

What do y'all think???

16. kayemarschke2

kayemarschke2 New Member

I'm glad your ok, but it sucks to have your car hit and off the road. I mean you get a rental but you got to pay for that gas. They don't have Prius rentals. Did your airbags deploy?

17. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Sorry to hear about the Prius, but thankful that you're ok. Looks like the Prius can take a hit and keep its occupants safe!

18. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the accident was very low speed no airbags went off, thank goodness.

19. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Happy ending! Did it cost you anything out of your own pocket?

20. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I had to pay my $500 deductible because the police report stated it was my fault. I still don't agree but they say it was an unsafe lane change. I understand he was in his lane already and I merged, but due to an accident ahead I HAD to merge, AND he was stopped when I merged into his lane, it wasn't until I was stopped in front of him he decided to GO and hit me.... I could understand if I cut him off or something like that.. grrrr