1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hit by a big rig today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, Mar 13, 2007.

1. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasidetraveler @ Apr 28 2007, 08:07 AM) [snapback]431665[/snapback]</div>
    Slightly OT, sorry:

A few years ago (LONG before the Prius even existed), I was turning right onto a road from a company parking lot, and I was focused on what was coming from the left (nothing). I pulled out and looked up to see a flatbed truck backing into me. I couldn't see him before because A.) I was looking to the left and B.) there was a berm hiding the flatbed. Cop came out, made nice to me, and sent me on my way, saying he had to talk to the truck driver. When his report came in, he claimed I was at fault for "not yielding to oncoming traffic." Fortunately for me, my insurance company (Allstate) felt that anyone backing up was prima facie at fault, and didn't make me pay the deductible, and went to arbitration over the issue. The final settlement was a 50/50 split, which is about the best that you can ever do in these situations.

I cannot prove it, but I'm pretty certain that $$ changed hands betw. the driver and the cop, who was definitely acting squirrely and officious. A professional driver has a LOT of incentive to be found blameless in these situations, and your situation and mine both appear to lend themselves to a bit of interpretation that can be influenced with the right amount of cumshaw. Not pretty, but I'm sure it happens. No way to prove it, of course. It helps if there are independent witnesses who can testify, but that's often not possible, unfortunately.

Glad you're OK, and you'll get your Prius back soon. $500 is not too bad, considering the total bill. I guess there's a case to be made for having 2x your deductible in savings to use just in case. After all, you're "self-insured" for that amount, so you might as well have it put by in case of need. Then it's not a budget breaker if you DO need it!

2. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    kim- Yea, what bugged me is the truck driver supposedly spole NO English, so I kept asking him for his license and insurance to get his info- he couldn't seem to find it. The cop comes out, and what do you know- he happens to speak Spanish! So they are over on the side of the road talking up a storm and I have no clue what the driver is telling him! Then at the end of it all I asked the police what the guy said and he said "oh he just said he didn't see you". Well, he probably wasn't watching the road!I was in front of him at a full stop before he even accelerated from a stop! Now MY insurance will go up. AAA was horrible- they automatically said "sounds like you're at fault" UMMM, excuse me but I am PAYING YOU to protect ME!

3. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasidetraveler @ Apr 28 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]431665[/snapback]</div>

Glad You got you car back and even more thankful that you were not hurt.

I try to avoid those big trucks, they scare the heck out of me. It seems like they are just big bullies that charge full speed. I wish they were tougher on who got a truck license and checked them often.