1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hit rock (underside), heard hissing noise from back passenger area, !, (!), VSC and check engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Caiged, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Caiged

Caiged New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was on a dirt access road (yay Boy Scouts) and its was raining. I hit a dip and hear a terrible noise, then saw that I'd hit a rock. There was a hissing sound coming from the back passenger area, and the master light !, brake !, VSC and check engine lights came on. I was out of cell reception area, so I had to drive so I could call out. The car did not want to accelerate properly (it would accelerate, just very slowly). I finally got to where I could call out, had a tow and called my insurance company.

The car repair place said their diagnostics show that it's a hybrid battery problem, but I'm not sure that makes sense. Has anyone else run into this? The car has about 150k miles on it and was running perfectly before the rock.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is a long shot but this could be damaged HV cables from the HV battery to the front of the car. High voltage dc current makes a very distinct hissing noise if it is arcing through damaged insulation, this would also discharge the HV battery. Check for cable damage under the car.

John (Britprius)

Caiged likes this.
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Loss of pressure from the fuel system if a fuel line was cut?

4. Caiged

Caiged New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The bizarre thing is, the battery wasn't charging when I was driving out, but when I stopped/restarted and let it sit the display showed it charging and it got to full charge green bars. I'm waiting to hear back from the shop. They didn't try to drive it, and have just hooked it up to diagnostics. They haven't given me codes, but say there is a new code (I guess it keeps track) and they think that means the batteries are bad.

Does a car typically go from running perfectly (I have a full inspection at each oil change) to dash lights when you run over something that hits under your car? They shop thinks it was just a coincidence.

5. Caiged

Caiged New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I will have to ask the shop if they checked for that. Thanks!

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you shut the car down the HV to the cables is disconnected shutting down the arc (hissing noise) when you restart the arc will not strike up again till there is a momentary short circuit, "think arc welder" this would also stop the charging while it was arcing. Again I could be way off here but the symptoms are what I would expect. Was there a strange smell "think ozone"?

John (Britprius)

Caiged likes this.
  7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Was one of the codes a ground fault code for the HV battery? This could be why they suspect the battery when it may be the cables under the car. If you do not know the codes ask the dealer for them and post them here.

John (Britprius)

8. Caiged

Caiged New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently they are closed now, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out the codes. They have now had the car for 3 days.

9. Caiged

Caiged New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure about the smell. I'm a smoker and usually have the window down as well.

10. Caiged

Caiged New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm hoping they checked the fuel line, but I will have to check with the shop to be sure tomorrow.

11. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The obvious thing to do is put it up on the lift and look around to see what got squashed.

'04Prius and nh7o like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it could be a coincidence, but depending on how big the rock was and how hard it scraped/dented and what parts it hit, the rock could be the culprit. everything underneath is protected, but not from off roading. you really need to have them put it on the lift and do a thorough survey of the bottom with you watching. or just take their word for it.

13. Caiged

Caiged New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At this point I'm still waiting on the shop to call back. I had to call my insurance company and see if they could find out anything for me. They said the shop is still trying to pinpoint the problem and that the shop manager will be calling me today. I'm going to ask him what exactly is going on, what they've tried, how they've examined the vehicle. The problem is that I have no vehicle while my husband is at work, and when he comes home it is close to the shop closing time. I'm going to see if he can take tomorrow off so we can pay them a visit. This is so frustrating.

14. Caiged

Caiged New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a call back from teh shop manager. The codes that came back are:

P3000
    P0A80

He said one was a code that was in recall, but because my car has 100k+ on it that the recall is not applicable. That seems odd.

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    P3000 code is a high voltage drop was detected and P0A80 is HV battery modules delta state of charge (large voltage difference between modules in the battery).

Again booth of these faults could be caused by a sudden heavy load on the battery "short circuit".

The P0A80 could be caused by a broken sensor wire in the battery or one low voltage module.

As in previous posts by other members I believe it is important that the underside of the car is inspected with removal of the plastic panel over the HV cables on the underside of the car to eliminate or confirm a problem there.

It is stretching things to far for a battery problem on it's own to happen just as you hit something in my opinion.
    Hope things are resolved quickly for you.

John (Britprius)

Steven Parizeau and Caiged like this.
  16. Caiged

Caiged New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for your help! I ended up picking up the car from the shop (that still had no idea what was wrong). I'm taking it to another shop Saturday morning.

I did notice the strange smell as I was driving home, the hissing noise from the back seat area, and oddly the cruise control doesn't work.

The car is accelerating, but still doesn't feel as powerful as the acceleration did before. The display with the engines/battery showed the battery charging a lot differently than it did before. It would go into the green (almost full charge), then drop to the blue, then back to the green. It used to stay in the blue area 95% of the time while operating. It dipped into the purple (two bars) at one point early on in the drive, but remained blue and green for the rest of the drive.

The new shop is closer to home, so even if I have to grab my bike I can make it in and talk to a human while actually allowing them to point out what the do or don't see. That will be a relief. Being stuck carless with a shop 20 miles away didn't allow for in person contact.

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could the "hissing noise" be the battery ventilation fan running at high speed?

The "strange smell" might be a battery module overheating and giving off gases?

The cruise control will not work when the powertrain is impaired. Given your observation that the traction battery state-of-charge gauge is moving up and down rapidly, that is further evidence (along with DTC P0A80) that the traction battery needs to be replaced.

Caiged likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you say 'shop', do you mean toyota dealer?

19. Caiged

Caiged New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The shop was a dealership body shop (insurance wanted it to go there). The one I have the appointment at tomorrow is not a dealership.

Insurance still says that the problem was not caused by hitting the dip/rock. I'm going to ask the new shop what they think. The old shop didn't see physical damage to the bottom of the car so they state that means the problem was not caused when I was on the dirt road, but would have happened right then no matter what.

On a 2006 with just under 150k, is replacing the battery a good move, or would it be better to look for something a bit newer? I don't want the car to start nickle and diming me to death. However, this car has been fantastic, and I would like to keep it (I like to drive cars until the cost/benefit ratio turns against me - the last car I had I drove 250k miles before getting a new one).

20. Caiged

Caiged New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the Columbia, SC area. Does anyone know of a good shop or DIY expert close to me? I used to work on my VW Bug (71, sweet car) and my 2000 Civic, but the hybrid is a spaceship in comparison.