1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hitch and a bike rack

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by TDog, Jun 15, 2020.

1. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It must have been asked number of times but I am trying to figure things out based on my own set of requirements.

Need a hitch added to my Prius 2018 Four (not a plug-in version). The sole purpose is to attach a bike rack. So, what kind of a hitch would be compatible? Will I need a ball mount? What about the size? 1.25'' vs 2''?
    Also, need a rack recommendation.
    A 2 bike rack, mainly for carrying an electric bike, so the weight should be a concern, the bike is about 55 pounds with a battery, 45 pounds without.
    It has to fold somehow to give me access to the hatchback door.
    Must have a pedestal to place the bikes on, I don't want them to simply hang.
    Some kind of a folding or tilting mechanism and a built-in security lock are a must.

Please let me know.

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are plenty of threads talking about hitches and bike racks. The search engine is your friend.
    For my part, I went with a UHaul 1 and a quarter hitch and an Amazon bike rack. Plenty of choices there... I have an ebike and weight of the rack and bike are not a negative consequence.
    example: Trailer hitch options?

3. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Thanks, Kevin.
    That is where it is getting very complicated for me. The questions are being asked about 2016 Priuses or the Prime ones. Nothing specific I have found about the model that I have. I am not sure if the hitches are compatible between different years' models.
    There are different hitches, different Priuses and different racks. I am simply confused and not sure what I need.
    It is just my existing hatchback mounted rack couldn't handle the weight of bike and broke. Almost lost the bike...

4. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Except for maybe the Prius prime and possibly the AWD Prius, I don't see how the hitch would be any possible difference for any of the other Gen 4 (2016 and on) Prius's. the hitch area would be consistent. Your profile says 2015, but your post says 2018 - so I'm answering for your 2018 model year.

5. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Corrected my profile to reflect the current (2018) model.
    I found this rack that has a weight limit consistent with my Pedego e-bike.
    Thule T2 Pro XT 2-Bike Hitch Rack | REI Co-op

The rack comes in 2 versions: 1.25 and 2.
    But the description says about a 2'' receiver.
    So, do I need both, a hitch and a receiver? or I am talking out of my butt here?

6. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am happy with my 1.25” hitch/receiver. If you get a 2.00” then you can get a sleeve to use a 1.25” bike rack. But I think the 2.00” is overkill for our use.

7. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    OK, great. I am going to order the 1.25 version of the rack. Now, can you tell me what hitch do you have? And if I wanted to go with the 2 inch version, does that option really exist for the Gen 4 Priuses? I couldn't find an accurate answer.

8. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I could not find a readily available 2” hitch, so I got the 1.25” hitch from UHaul. They installed it for me. I did not have the electrical installed.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This one is 2":
    Torklift Central | 2017-2020 Toyota Prius Prime Stealth EcoHitch

On my 2012, my rack does not need to tilt down to open the hatch door. Unlike the same rack on my Forester, the Prius hatch clears the rack even when it is untilted.

10. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Fuzzy1, this is for Prius Prime, and I have a regular Prius.

11. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    So, I did my research, and I am getting even more confused. The rack I want is not compatible with my bike. So, here comes a Hollywood rack but it is for 2'' only. Then there is a Swagman rack which is for 1-1/4'' but for class 2 and above. Not sure what to do next.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops, I skimmed over the product selection too fast.

This is one for Gen4 Liftbacks, but lists only 2019-2020. I'm not sure why 2016-2018 would not be listed, it might be worth giving them a call to find out:
    Torklift Central | Torklift Central | 2019-2020 Toyota Prius EcoHitch

They have versions for almost all Prii here:
    Torklift Central | Prius - Toyota - EcoHitch - Rear Mounted Receiver Hitches - Trailer Hitches

Since they do 2" versions, it would seem odd if no one else did.

Torklift is pricey. It is also very robust, unobtrusive, and somewhat local to me.

KD0FTJ likes this.
  13. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Ended up ordering a U-Haul custom fit class 1 hitch, part # CQT24944, and a Kuat class 1 compatible bike rack model NV12G.

krmcg likes this.
  14. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations

15. KD0FTJ

KD0FTJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can anyone confirm if the Torklift EcoHitch for the 2019/2020 Prius will fit on other Gen 4 years? I contacted them and they said they had not tested the fit on other years. They sent me the install guide and the mounting location appears to be the same as the Gen 4 class 1 hitches, so I suspect that it would work. I would like to stick one on a 2018 Prius for an amateur radio antenna mount.

16. PriusOffroad

PriusOffroad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was in a similar situation and ended up building my own 2" receiver. I had the 1.25" curt receiver and a thule 1.25" bike rack and was really unhappy with how much the rack moved with 2 heavy bikes on it. After building my own 2" receiver I upgraded to the 2" thule bike rack and it was night and day better. Now Ive switched out to the Rocky Mounts Swing out bike rack and am ever happier with the setup and allowing access to the back of the car with the rack on. I posted in another thread but if there's enough interest for a 2" receiver id be willing to build them in a batch of 5 or so. IMG_2346.JPG