1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hitch causing trim to melt?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by climateguy, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(climateguy @ Jul 12 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]285237[/snapback]</div>
    You know it would be nice if you could trade your repair bills for them taking Darelldd's design to fix it. They could simply include an exhaust end that could be clamped or welded on at a muffler shop for $20. If Curt would include that exhaust end with his kit, I would buy one too.

2. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any new information on resolving this issue with Curt?????

3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I am guessing that it wasn't direct heat on the hitch that melted the plastic, but the splitting of the exhaust flow it caused, with some of the hot exhaust giong over the to and heating the plastic directly. You might try a curved chrome tip to direct it further down.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Jul 22 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]290584[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, that is what we know is happening. Doesn't matter if the hitch gets warm - all that matters is that the hot exhaust is now partially directed up into the plastic trim.

And this is what we've done to solve the problem. Pictures and everything earlier in the thread.

5. firepro

firepro New Member

I think I would try to put a piece of step flashing on the back vertical piece of the hitch and bend it at about a 45 degree angle to go over the top of the exhaust pipe. I would use two small phillips head self-tapping screws to drill through the flashing and the hitch.(buy some spares in case it takes more than a couple to drill all the way through the hitch).

Step flashing can be bought by the individual piece. It's about 6"x10", It's stout and can take the abuse and relatively easy to bend. It's galvanized and it's cheap. It will be in the roofing section.

Installation shouldn't take more than ten minutes to install, and should cost less than $5.

6. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(climateguy @ Jul 12 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]285237[/snapback]</div>
    Any word on these "changes" I need to add a bike rack and I prefer the Curt hitch because of the way it's constructed (even with the problem) but I would like to know if they are now shipping an "improved" version or not.

Thanks,
    Rand

7. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Jul 23 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]291142[/snapback]</div>
    I have a Coastal hitch and a Yakima rack. No complaints at all. Just a thought for an alternative hitch. See my post's here:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=259504

8. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ Jul 23 2006, 08:46 PM) [snapback]291175[/snapback]</div>
    I's still not convinced to go with the Coastal hitch. Anyone know about a "new improved" Curt hitch?

By the way, is that Coastal a 2" or 1.25" hitch receiver?

9. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Jul 23 2006, 05:57 PM) [snapback]291183[/snapback]</div>
    You can get the Coast hitch in either size.
    http://www.coastaletech.com/04hitch.htm

10. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Jul 23 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]291183[/snapback]</div>
    I went with Coastal 2". Works great!

11. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(firepro @ Jul 23 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]291122[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I was thinking of doing. I was just working on getting a piece of galvanized steel. I was going to prime it and then paint it black with high heat tolerant paint. The step flashing is a good idea. I didn't want to buy a large sheet of steel.

12. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  13. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryogajyc @ Jul 25 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]292039[/snapback]</div>
    I've had the Coastal 1.25" hitch now for about 18 months. Was fairly easy to install and has worked great with both of our bike racks (I have a regular one and then a bigger model for carrying our tandem).

14. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryogajyc @ Jul 25 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]292039[/snapback]</div>
    I don't notice any excessive swaying that darelldd was talking about. It does 'bounce' a little with road vibration but nothing excessive. I had the same bike rack on my Toyota Matrix with a rear hitch and the action of the rack and hitch is exactly the same between my Matrix and Prius. Darelldd also mentions that the bike rack sticks out a little bit more because of the Coastal hitch. If it does, then I can't complain because I can open the Prius hatch with my bike on the rack. I also cut 10 inches off of my Yakima rack so my bike and rack sit below the spoiler improving gas mileage and airflow off the back of the car. That first trip was scary when I looked out my rear view mirror and saw my Cannondale, attached to the rack, but flying like Superman because the wind current broke some of the straps. That's when I decided to cut the bike rack and lower it. It works PERFECT now. I have pictures on another thread if you want to see the mod.

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And back to the task at hand. After asking TWICE for an update, I finally got this from Curt:
    Darell,
    We have in fact redesigned the hitch so that the main body no longer deflects the exhaust upward towards the fascia. I have attached a copy of the new instructions that has a picture of the new hitch on it. Thank You for all of the corespondence and input into the issue.

Mike Brunner

He sent me a PDF of the new design which while it is upside-down of what I suggested to them, seems that it'll work. They're using a flat bar to go UNDER the exhaust output. I'd put the flat bar OVER the exhaust.

Anyway, that's it. I'd asked about their remedy for current owners, and that part was ignored. I spent more for my "fix" than I did for the hitch originally. I haven't heard an appology for his first relatively snotty response to me, nor any thanks (beyond the once sentence above) for my time/effort/expense in bringing this to their attention, fixing my own problem, and suggesting a proper design. I'm a bit miffed about that part. Nice that future customers will benefit from what we've done here - are the current owners left dangling?

16. Rmutzabaugh

Rmutzabaugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 11 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]284714[/snapback]</div>
    Just two days ago had a Curt hitch installed on my 05 and after reading this forum got real scared as I didn't really look at it when they put it on. Went right home and did a once over and saw :p that Curt had revised the hitch to eliminate the exhaust problem. Side of exhaust is flat bar not square tube. Looks good!

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subsailor @ Oct 20 2006, 05:29 AM) [snapback]335466[/snapback]</div>
    Aw shucks. No thanks needed. :)

That redesign took me several months of correspondence with Curt, plus quit a bit of out-of-pocket expenses and too much unpaid time to even count. :sigh: I AM glad that they finally admitted and fixed the problem so others don't have to go through this! I'll at least give them credit for finally doing what was right, and will call this a happy ending. If you've got a picture of the new product, I'd love to add it to my page. All I have is drawings as I declined their offer of a new unit since I've already done the damage repair and correction on my car.

18. Rmutzabaugh

Rmutzabaugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 20 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]335530[/snapback]</div>

Heres the picture you wanted.

Attached Files:

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for that! OK to add your image to my hitch page (hosted on my server of course)?

Nice to see that they ended up with the solid bar going across the TOP of the thing instead of the bottom as originally planned.

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jul 11 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]284775[/snapback]</div>
    Who needs an SUV?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Who needs a truck?

I didn't read any mention of the hitch SigmaAutomotive sells.

What are they selling? Curt or Coastal? Or something else? Are there any problems with what Sigma sells?

So, now with the redesign, what is the recommended hitch? New Curt better than Coastal? Coastal better than Curt but more expensive? And what of Sigma?