1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hitch luggage carrier

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by bobchatter, Jun 18, 2011.

1. bobchatter

bobchatter Lovemyprius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am considering putting a hitch luggage carrier on our 2009 Prius. It would carry a 50 pound light weight (w/o battery) electric cart for my wife who is disabled. I have been told that this will not work -- that the Prius cannot handle the weight - and that it will scrape the ground. Does anyone have advice? Could someone custom make the carrier which should be about 48 by 24 inches. Thank you for any help. Will it void my 100,000 mile warranty ?

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think it will work fine. The extra weight is probably less than one person, and certainly less than two.

Quality S makes a 2" hitch for the Prius, and Harbor Freight has an aluminum carrier.

As for the warranty, I doubt there would be any problem. But nobody in authority is going to tell you anything but party line. The party line is zero towing capacity. So is a carrier a towing device?

I say use the car the way you need to. Carrying an electric cart is part of what you need to do, and the Prius is the vehicle you have to do it with.