1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hmmmm the EV1 battery packs cost $35k each to produce?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by cycledrum, Jun 2, 2009.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmm, I wonder how true that is. I never saw that side presented in Who Killed the Electric Car?

If so, that explains to me why GM needed to stop the program - they were losing money. If so.

"EV1

It's been said that "No good deed goes unpunished" and the EV1 is a prime example.
    GM introduced the EV1 in 1996 as a production version of a 1991 concept car called the Impact. It sold mostly in California, where state regulations at that time required manufacturers to offer a certain number of zero-emission vehicles.

Unlike electric vehicles offered by other automakers, the EV1 was not a retrofitted version of a gas- powered model. It was designed, from the wheels up, to be an electric car. Only two parts were carried over from any existing GM vehicle: The radio and the door handles, said GM engineer John Berisa.

Despite high hopes, the EV1 ended up being a money-loser for GM. The battery packs alone cost about $35,000 each to produce.

Customers leased EV1's on a three-year basis. In 2003, after California changed rules that required the vehicles, GM took the leased vehicles back and stopped the program, along with other car companies.

"The people who were leasing those cars for $350 a month were getting a killer deal," he said. "They just didn't know it."

GM's decision to end the EV1 later made the company infamous as the villain of the documentary, "Who killed the electric car?"

Other car companies had also stopped selling their electric cars but because GM struck a chord with its product, it was stuck with the "killer" distinction."

GM's Junk Heap- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear crickets ....

first time I've heard or read about this. That's an expensive battery!

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Is it really news that a new technology startup takes some time before it is profitable? Apparently it is.

My feedback from every EV1 buyer I have heard from is that they thought that it was a great deal, so I'm not sure the claim that they were unaware of "getting a killer deal" is believable.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Peter seems to be misinformed as GM didn't sell any EV1's. Anyone can make up anything. Since he didn't quote any sources I claim pure BS.