1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Holiday shopping already done?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by srellim234, Nov 22, 2016.

1. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For over 20 years I've cruised thrift shops when convenient and shopped clearance racks in stores I've happened to be in all over the country. As a result I wind up with a locked closet full of smaller gifts for birthdays and holidays at great prices and mostly in unopened packages. With some of those being from smaller stores and unique to other areas they become a little more special to the receiver of the gift.

That leaves a few "big ticket" items. We keep our eyes open for those with a target price range in mind. When we find them, we use the account we've set aside to make the purchases. If the money isn't in the account already, we don't buy them. Those items get stashed in the rafters or under tarps in the garage.

That shopping plan has always served us well. We finished our holiday shopping last night with an online order from Home Depot. Now we're free to enjoy the holidays with family and friends but without out the material stress.

It feels good to once again have it done before Thanksgiving, both under budget and with zero charge accounts to pay.:)

bisco and Luis138 like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't shop.:oops:

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have any friends.....and my CFO shops for the family.
    Really simplifies the Christmas shopping season.

Fun shopping tip: When you buy somebody a birthday present?
    Buy them a Christmas present as well, and keep it until you need it.

Bonus: If you lose that friend?
    Keep the present (or return it depending on when and where you purchase it!) :)

srellim234 likes this.
  4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We use a different tactic for those gifts that aren't going to be used for the person they were originally intended for. We give them as gifts anyway. They go to homeless shelters and other local charity giveaways. My wife works in a children's custody court so most of the toys and games go to kids there.

RCO and ETC(SS) like this.