1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Holidays Prius storage question.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lexidium, Jan 5, 2016.

1. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be going away for two weeks and leaving my Prius 2008 Spirit standing.
    Is there anything that drains the battery or should it start as normal when I get back?
    Thanks
    Lex

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, there is a constant drain. not sure about u/k models, but we have a switch under the dash below the steering wheel, to shut off sks.
    also, you could put a battery tender on, or remove the negative cable. but don't shut the hatch, or you won't be able to get it open from the outside, unless you jump from under the hood.
    two weeks isn't long for a good battery. i leave mine for 5 in winter without any problem. but older, weaker batteries are subject to quicker draining.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember that Priuses don't require a massive battery to start them, even if the 12v (aux) battery is depleted.
    A simple pocket charger will do, and familiarize yourself with the correct procedure to use it.

I shouldn't think that a two week slumber would deplete a Prius battery. If it happens with yours, then I suspect that you will not have caused a problem but rather you will have detected a previously existing one.
    As previously mentioned......disabling the SKS and keeping the car on a battery tender (not to be confused with a trickle charger!!!) are good practices also.

This is rather important.....

.....enjoy your holiday!! :)

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As mentioned, I'd just try to turn off SKS under steering wheel also I try to warm up the car about 3-5 minutes after a long sitting.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    HI Lex.
    As you probably know the UK 2008 Tspirit does not have SKS, but it does have the larger battery fitted to SKS equipped cars.
    There is no problem leaving the car for two weeks providing everything is turned off including the light in the luggage area,and all the doors and tailgate are firmly closed.
    If you have any doubts about the 12 volt battery you can leave it on a slow charge if possible. If not disconnect the battery in the fuse box under the bonnet. This is done by lifting the red cover over the jump point in the fuse box, undo the nut (10 mm) on the stud, and lift the cable eye off and clear of the stud. Do this after removing everything you need from the car, and locking it with the bonnet open.
    Disconnecting the battery in the boot means you cannot open it once you have shut it without crawling into the boot from the inside to release it.
    The central locking will not lock the car if the battery is disconnected. It also will not unlock the car from the key fob so check you can lock and more importantly unlock the car with the key hidden in the fob.
    Disconnecting from under the bonnet is much more convenient not having to remove the boot floor, and the problem of opening the tailgate from inside the car when you return. All you have to do is unlock the car with the key pop open the bonnet, and refit the cable and nut.
    You may need to lubricate the door lock with some WD40 as under normal circumstances it never gets used, and can get very stiff to turn.
    Any questions just ask.

John

#5 Britprius, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    lexidium likes this.
  6. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you guys.
    I certainly wouldn't have thought of the problem of locking the boot . . . . .

Lex